rotate layout view

djhplanning

Does anyone know how to rotate a layout view?  Seams like it should be fairly simple like clicking on the view and rotating using the handle.  There are no handles that show up.  Is there another way.  Also right clicked on transform/replicate object, but the option for rotate is grayed out and not available.  Using a sheet in portrait mode, and would like to rotate elevations 90 degrees to better fit on the taller sheet size.   

9 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

That is a problem? Why please?

DJP

It's a problem because the black covers up the text notes on the elevations and part of the cross sections notes, uses excess black ink for no reason, and is visually unatractive.  Just seams to be doing it on the election layout boxes and not the layout box for the cross section.

5 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

Appears that way.  Unless I am totally missing something.  You would think this would be a standard feature just like how you can rotate other things.  

You can not rotate an elevation or section view sent to layout. If your using the actual camera instead of a CAD detail, you've gotta plan your layout accordingly. Don't fight it, just pick your preference...camera views and use more pages, or cad details and the ability to rotate them. Personally, I'd pick the former over the latter.

7 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

Just seams to be doing it on the election layout boxes and not the layout box for the cross section.

Thank you for that answer.

That is why I rarely use PDF's in my layouts: they bloat the size in Mb's of the layout, are often pix-elated being copy's of the original vector view material and thus not as crisp looking. 

If I require multiple instances of elevations or cross sections I use vector views that have a white background with no problem.

My question still remains, what exactly are you trying to solve using PDF's of the model being graphically communicated instead of vector view generated views (you could also make a view to CAD and then send those altered-edited copy's to layout)?

DJP

3 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

That is why I rarely use PDF's in my layouts: they bloat the size in Mb's of the layout, are often pix-elated being copy's of the original vector view material and thus not as crisp looking. 

If I require multiple instances of elevations or cross sections I use vector views that have a white background with no problem.

My question still remains, what exactly are you trying to solve using PDF's of the model being graphically communicated instead of vector view generated views (you could also make a view to CAD and then send those altered-edited copy's to layout)?

DJP

Dan's saying that the pdf looks ok but when printed on paper its messed up.

34 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

You can take an active elevation view and then using "View to CAD Detail", then send that to layout and it will be rotatable, check it out.

DJP

Here is the final PDF drawing set.  It shows a little more of why I was trying to rotate the 2 elevations on page 3.  Seamed like they would fit the page better if I rotate them.  I did convert the original elevations to a CAD detail but at the expense of not having control over the pattern line defaults.  I like to show my materials in a lighter shade of gray (see page 2), and also at the expense of if a change is made, I will have to convert it again to have it update.

Shultz Shed-Final Plan Set 4-13-20.pdf

11 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

Sorry for the confusion.  Not using a pdf in the layout itself.  I am printing TO a pdf from layout, and then printing that pdf to my printer.  Maybe it is a printer setting or something.  This has never happened before.  

42 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

I am also getting this when I am printing.  The black fill behind the elevation.  It does not show on the pdf that I export from Chief.  

IMG_8745.HEIC

Shultz Shed-Final Plan Set 4-13-20.pdf

Dan, that’s a Mac issue. I’ve seen it lots. Print from Adobe instead of Preview and it should solve your problem. Preview has a bug where png images with a transparent background will print with a black background. I just had the same thing happen printing school work for my daughter last week. It’s very annoying.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

You seem too "Attached" to your problems to see solutions for what they are:)  The rules of 2D CAD are not missing or suspended in CAD details so your comment about "pattern line defaults" makes no sense to me, sorry.

DJP

If I convert the elevation to a CAD detail, and want to make them look the same as my other 2 drawings in the drawing set, I would have to manually select all of the pattern lines and convert them to a lighter gray color.  That will take a lot of time.  I am good with it the way it is now.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LevisL said:

Dan, that’s a Mac issue. I’ve seen it lots. Print from Adobe instead of Preview and it should solve your problem. Preview has a bug where png images with a transparent background will print with a black background. I just had the same thing happen printing school work for my daughter last week. It’s very annoying.

Thank you for this.  I will check into it more.

1 minute ago, djhplanning said:

Thank you for this.  I will check into it more.

No problem! I’m actually shocked this is the first time you’ve encountered this issue! I’ve had this issue since X10 and Mojave!!!

10 minutes ago, LevisL said:

No problem! I’m actually shocked this is the first time you’ve encountered this issue! I’ve had this issue since X10 and Mojave!!!

I don't do a lot of printing.  For this project, the client requested something he could print at home and I was just testing how big the text would look for him when printing on 8 1/2x11 and noticed this happening.  

• 11 months later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:27 AM, LevisL said:

Hi LevisL, I'm finally playing around with this again.  I did download a PDF reader pro lite app and tried printing.  Still getting the same thing happening.  I was just wondering what adobe app you were using?  I know there are some other app options available.  

5 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

Hi LevisL, I'm finally playing around with this again.  I did download a PDF reader pro lite app and tried printing.  Still getting the same thing happening.  I was just wondering what adobe app you were using?  I know there are some other app options available.  

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is the app I use. I just recently tried the free trial of Foxit PhantomPDF and it worked as well.

Bluebeam Revu for Mac used to work too, but Bluebeam stopped developing the Mac version and it doesn't work with Big Sur anymore...