School Project - Nationwide Architect Approval Stamp Service

johnmmm

Here's and article summarizing the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) regulation of the practice of “plan stamping”.

https://mspe.com/2015/04/02/engineers-architects-rules-of-signing-and-sealing-of-technical-documents-by-robert-pellegrini-esq/

The AIA Code of Ethics states:

Rule 4.102

Members shall not sign or seal drawings, specifications, reports, or other professional work for which they do not have responsible control.
Commentary: Responsible control means the degree of knowledge and supervision ordinarily required by the professional standard of care. With respect to the work of licensed consultants, Members may sign or seal such work if they have reviewed it, coordinated its preparation, or intend to be responsible for its adequacy.

• Upvote 1

the laws vary by state - so a nationwide system is not feasible

in some states it is illegal to stamp any plans not done by the architect etc or under their direct supervision

In other states stamping is not necessary if within presecribed limits

and the plans may be submitted by a licensed builder or the homeowner

In some the plans may be be stamped if every page is reviewed by the architect etc and the plans are kept on file

bottom line - it all depends on the state and what they local permit office requires

Lew

I don't have an answer to this but what happens in a situation where a federally run infrastructure project crosses over state boundaries or a project being conducted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers spans more than one state. I find it hard to believe that they would have to find a licensed engineer in each State to approve the portion of the project that crosses over each boarder.

3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I don't have an answer to this but what happens in a situation where a federally run infrastructure project crosses over state boundaries or a project being conducted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers spans more than one state. I find it hard to believe that they would have to find a licensed engineer in each State to approve the portion of the project that crosses over each boarder.

From what I understand there are many Engineers who are licensed in different states (even one I have heard about and that some on this forum use who is licensed in all 50 states,) but a much smaller portion of licensed architects in multiple states.  I do work with an architect in Michigan who is also licensed in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana (Still hand draws too...) so there are some out there.

5 minutes ago, rgardner said:

From what I understand there are many Engineers who are licensed in different states (even one I have heard about and that some on this forum use who is licensed in all 50 states,) but a much smaller portion of licensed architects in multiple states.  I do work with an architect in Michigan who is also licensed in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana (Still hand draws too...) so there are some out there.

1 minute ago, johnmmm said:

Wow. @rgardner I would love to speak to an architect who is licensed in all 50 states. That’s very interesting. I never knew that existed.

Engineer in all 50 states (someone on this board uses him.) https://john-raby-associates-post-building.business.site/.  To clarify I have never used him and only took note of his info in case it comes in handy for a random job.    This architect I work with in Michigan is the first I have heard of with so many states but those 4 states are all close to where he has an office.