roofs

decorators3

I am trying to build a roof .. here are my issues

1. the auto build is out of wack completely as you can see in the image

2. the partially built manual roof has 2 gable roofs- one on the left side of the house - one on the other side -But even though they are both 8 pitch they are of different heights (image)

3. the full over view shows the ceilings..(image)

My issue is how do I build a roof over the angled front of the house .  I have read the tutorials - watched the videos-I would like to have 3 gables (a) left   - (b) middle (angled wall) and (c) right over the garage..

The house has main level 9' and 2nd level 9' with open below for great room - foundation is also full 9' 

I have been working on this for a few days but haven't been able to complete it properly- is it because of the shape of the house??

..welcome any suggestions

THANKS ...I'M TRYING TO FOLLOW ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS 

... is it possible that these roof points are creating a problem.  I don't   know how to delete them.  I went into Preferences then architectural  and unchecked AUTOMATICALLY PLACE ROOF INTERSECTION POINTS...BUT STILL THERE. i have removed these temporary points.. i've been working on this roof problem for so long I am missing things..sorryy

wrong pic for roof points

Levina

caX11

auto roof.jpg

over head view.jpg

some gables.jpg

points.JPG

Edited by decorators3
PLAN ATTACHED

4 hours ago, decorators3 said:

I am trying to build a roof .. here are my issues

1. the auto build is out of wack completely as you can see in the image

2. the partially built manual roof has 2 gable roofs- one on the left side of the house - one on the other side -But even though they are both 8 pitch they are of different heights (image)

3. the full over view shows the ceilings..(image)

My issue is how do I build a roof over the angled front of the house .  I have read the tutorials - watched the videos-I would like to have 3 gables (a) left   - (b) middle (angled wall) and (c) right over the garage..

The house has main level 9' and 2nd level 9' with open below for great room - foundation is also full 9' 

I have been working on this for a few days but haven't been able to complete it properly- is it because of the shape of the house??

..welcome any suggestions

Levina

caX11

auto roof.jpg

over head view.jpg

some gables.jpg

Don’t have your plan file so merely a guess but one issue is probably that the left side appears to be set at a 9 or10:12 pitch and the right at 6 or 7:12 pitch???  Still possible but would take some time.

I have deleted my roof   planes and will start over again   I will never get paid enough for the time I'm  spending on this   roof.  so  frustrating.  plus the angled  front has to be the same on both sides (ie) 6 feet.. and due to the shape of interior rooms and the sizes I had to un check the angle snaps  icon .. so my exterior walls look "shakey" ( for lack of a better word)  in plan format but fine in 3d. and I don't know if this will affect my schedules as I move forward EVENTUALLY!!

The roof has me stumped.. but i will perserver

I like what chopsaw and eric suggested.. just hope I can do it...

This house is my first from start to finish including construction drawings so I may be on here agin as I move forward  ONCE MY ROOF IS DONE AND I UNDERSTAND WHAT I DID... 

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, decorators3 said:

HOW TO REDUCE SIZE OF MY PLAN 

Zip it a see if you can get it under 25MB.  If not delete unnecessary things like terrain and furniture, light fixtures, etc.

Or just save it to your cloud account and post the link.

Very interesting thread/topic and solution. Nice vid as always Eric, learned something new again. I have a question though and hope it does not hijack the thread too badly. I think if it were my plan (and it's not I clearly understand) I might try and get the 2 return walls to be of equal length which would/could get the angles at each roof edge to be the same but I could not get Chief to create those equal returns. Locking wall end, start or center did not seem to matter. Set one return length adjust the other and the first would be changed. You'll see in the vid I lucked in to getting the dims to match but that was after 20 minutes of messing with it.

Couple questions; would that approach make the plan and roof structure easier to manage? And is there a way accomplish that without manually lucking in to a solution?

...and if this is best in another thread please advise.

Upon further review I can see how the length of those walls is not really important in this case as it would also require a 45 or 135 degree wall angle and exterior wall dimension changes to to be relevant. I think.

With those changes, a -135 degree wall angle and exterior dimension changes it's down right easy but changes the plan in a way that may not be desirable.