New Computer - Macbook Pro

StructEng58

Good day all, 

I am currently looking at buying a new computer and I am very heavily leaning on purchasing a MacBook Pro 16", which will give me everything to run Chief Architect. I have a MacBook that I bought in 2009 and it is still running strong, but it is not upgradable to the new Mac OS and I can't run X12. Right now I am running a Windows10 desktop, but really want one computer for work and other things. On my current setup I am running dual monitors with a TV attached for when I meet with customers. 

I am looking for a dock for the MacBook Pro, which will allow me to connect up to four (4) monitors. This is so I can attach the two monitors I have along with the TV. In the near future I would like to add a third monitor for doing my structural calculations and such while in Chief. I have found this one linked below, but was wondering if anyone else is using a similar setup or if this will cause problems with Chief?

Targus Quad Docking Station

Thank you in advance, 

Chris 

26 minutes ago, StructEng58 said:

Good day all, 

I am currently looking at buying a new computer and I am very heavily leaning on purchasing a MacBook Pro 16", which will give me everything to run Chief Architect. I have a MacBook that I bought in 2009 and it is still running strong, but it is not upgradable to the new Mac OS and I can't run X12. Right now I am running a Windows10 desktop, but really want one computer for work and other things. On my current setup I am running dual monitors with a TV attached for when I meet with customers. 

I am looking for a dock for the MacBook Pro, which will allow me to connect up to four (4) monitors. This is so I can attach the two monitors I have along with the TV. In the near future I would like to add a third monitor for doing my structural calculations and such while in Chief. I have found this one linked below, but was wondering if anyone else is using a similar setup or if this will cause problems with Chief?

Targus Quad Docking Station

Thank you in advance, 

Chris 

Haven’t tried the dock but recently upgraded to the 16 as my travel computer and it works great!

40 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Haven’t tried the dock but recently upgraded to the 16 as my travel computer and it works great!

Ryan, 

Thanks for the information. I am going to probably get mine maxed out on memory and other upgrades when I order it. 

Chris 

• Upvote 1

I'm following this thread because after this pandemic, I may need to visit the customer vs them coming to my office.  They may be fearful of visiting.

I'm already looking at a 16" MacBook Pro .

B&H usually has the best price and service.

• 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

2 hours ago, Electromen said:

I'm following this thread because after this pandemic, I may need to visit the customer vs them coming to my office.  They may be fearful of visiting.

I'm already looking at a 16" MacBook Pro .

B&H usually has the best price and service.

• 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

Electromen,

I am still meeting with my customers during the whole pandemic. It just that I have been doing via video conferencing like Zoom. This way we can proceed with the design and practice social distancing. 

Thank your for the info on the MacBook.

Chris

Just wanted to mention that Apple for the first time just listed a bunch of different models of the 16 as cert refurbished including a fully loaded with 64gb ram and the 5500m with 8gb GPU.  Get standard warranty as well.  

I had an emergency when my old 13” screen died (used an e-GPU) while on a trip with four  deadlines I had to finish.  I was very fortunate because of a previously purchased warranty as I bought it from my previous employer when I started in my own, (Assurant covered the unit 100% with money back.) Since I use my pro 6.1 95% of the time at home and just use the laptop for traveling (something I do less now since covid-19) and had to buy a machine locally.  I was fortunate enough that BB had them on sale for $300 off but had to go with the base model which is still very capable for a laptop.  Even came with a 5500m with 4gb and 16gb ram.  Chief works very well on it too!

Ryan, 

Thank you for the information. I know Chief will work very well on the MacBook Pro with no problems with the proper hardware on board. I more curious about a decent dock for it when I am working in the office, since it will be my main computer. Like I stated, I want to be able to have the ability to do four monitors. 

Chris 

24 minutes ago, StructEng58 said:

Ryan, 

Thank you for the information. I know Chief will work very well on the MacBook Pro with no problems with the proper hardware on board. I more curious about a decent dock for it when I am working in the office, since it will be my main computer. Like I stated, I want to be able to have the ability to do four monitors. 

Chris 

Have you looked at Docks from OWC?

1 minute ago, Electromen said:

Have you looked at Docks from OWC?

Greg, 

I have not. Do you recommend them? I am specifically looking for something that won't bog down Chief Architect in terms of display and graphics.

Chris 

46 minutes ago, StructEng58 said:

Greg, 

Just been doing some research and it seems like this dock, OWC Thunderbolt 3 along with this, Dual Display Adapter would give me what I am looking for, since OWC dock allows daisy chaining. Is this what you were talking about? 

Chris 

Chris,

I've never used a Dock.  I recently upgraded my 2013 Mac Pro. (Trash Can).  I purchased a new internal SSD and 64GB RAM from OWC.  I also purchased an external storage device from them that holds internal SSD and HD drives.  I filled it with three - 2TB Samsung internal SSD and one - Western Digital 6TB HD for Time Machine.  It connects using Thunderbolt 2, since that's what the Mac Pro uses.

It all has worked very well.

3 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Chris,

I've never used a Dock.  I recently upgraded my 2013 Mac Pro. (Trash Can).  I purchased a new internal SSD and 64GB RAM from OWC.  I also purchased an external storage device from them that holds internal SSD and HD drives.  I filled it with three - 2TB Samsung internal SSD and one - Western Digital 6TB HD for Time Machine.  It connects using Thunderbolt 2, since that's what the Mac Pro uses.

It all has worked very well.

Greg, 

Got ya. I called one of my friends/client and asked him if he any recommendations for docks. He thinks where he works. They use the Targus one I linked above (Targus Docking Station). He is going to let me know. He also give me another idea too. He said on the TV I can put an apple TV on it and cast to from the MacBook for when I have clients here. This eliminates one problem, so I just need to make sure I can do three monitors. 

After I wrote back to you. I looked at some of the reviews on the OWC docks and they don't seem to get that good of reviews. That is what I am having a hard time with. It seems on all the docks. The reviews are very mixed, which makes it hard chosing. 

Chris 

15 minutes ago, Electromen said:

I tried using Apple TV on 40" TV that mirrored my display for clients.  It bothered me because there was a slight delay, about one second.

Greg, 

I don't know if a one second delay would be that bad. If it was more I would probably more concerned. 

Chris 

USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 use the same USB-C connector but they aren’t the same thing. Thunderbolt 3 supports faster data-transfer rates, up to 40 Gbps, versus a maximum of 5 or 10 Gbps for USB-C depending on the device.

It can also transfer data in both directions, output video, charge your computer, and daisy-chain other Thunderbolt devices over a single cable.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, when I use my laptop at home (which is rare) I use a usb 3 mini dock which has some usb ports, ethernet port, as well as an hdmi.  I use that hdmi to connect to my big monitor and between the big monitor and the 16" laptop display that is what I use.  When I travel I use the adapter and sometimes bring my 25" LG ultra-wide monitor with and connect via the hdmi port with no issues whatsoever.  While working at home, if I were to need my other monitor or two more then I would just look into a splitter that could work with the other two and attach it to that.  It can input power through a usb-c as well.  This is the one I use with no delay issues but again only with one external monitor for what it is worth.  My wife uses the same one on a 13" with multiple peripherals such as pro webcam, wacom tablet, ethernet, external monitor, and probably some other items.   She is an online teacher so just brings her laptop connects the dongle and everything is setup including power at her desk.  

This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FX2LW35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the same brand has one that has a HDMI, VGA, and DP port in it...

Ryan, 

I actually purchased my new MacBook Pro last night and I am excited to get it. It is funny you mention the Totu Hub, because I actually purchased the Totu dock from Amazon, which allows me to do three monitors. I am going to try and use an apple tv for when my clients are in the office to show them their house on the TV. I will experiment to see how it works. 

This is the dock that I bought. https://www.amazon.com/TOTU-Upgraded-Universal-Charging-Thunderbolt/dp/B0838WTFD1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TLVA72PC76QS&dchild=1&keywords=totu+docking+station&qid=1586892787&s=electronics&sprefix=totu+%2Celectronics%2C158&sr=1-3

Chris 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StructEng58 said:

Ryan, 

I actually purchased my new MacBook Pro last night and I am excited to get it. It is funny you mention the Totu Hub, because I actually purchased the Totu dock from Amazon, which allows me to do three monitors. I am going to try and use an apple tv for when my clients are in the office to show them their house on the TV. I will experiment to see how it works. 

This is the dock that I bought. https://www.amazon.com/TOTU-Upgraded-Universal-Charging-Thunderbolt/dp/B0838WTFD1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TLVA72PC76QS&dchild=1&keywords=totu+docking+station&qid=1586892787&s=electronics&sprefix=totu+%2Celectronics%2C158&sr=1-3

Chris 

Congrats!  You will love it for sure!

BTW are you a licensed PE only in PA or in other states as well?  I have done a couple of projects out there in the past so a local PE that is a chief user could be very helpful! :)

Ryan, 

I know I will love it. This is my second MacBook. My first one (still runs) has been running for 11 years and all I have done to it was add more ram and larger hard drive. I can't upgrade the OS on it any longer, so I can't put X12 on it. 

I am a registered Professional Engineer in Pennsylvania and New York. I can also get licenesed in other states as well if I have work there. That is not a problem. The only states that are hard to get licensed is States like California. 

Chris 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 3:34 PM, StructEng58 said:

Ryan, 

Chris 

So How is the MacBook Pro?  What on your specs on it?

12 minutes ago, Electromen said:

So How is the MacBook Pro?  What on your specs on it?

I just got it on Thursday. I haven't played with Chief on it yet, since I am still sitting it up, but so far I love it.

The computer has 2TB storage, 64 gb of Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Chris

2 minutes ago, StructEng58 said:

I just got it on Thursday. I haven't played with Chief on it yet, since I am still sitting it up, but so far I love it.

The computer has 2TB storage, 64 gb of Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Chris

Very Impressive specs, top of the line.  I'm looking forward to hearing how Chief performs.  

• 3 weeks later...

I did it !

I ordered a 16" MacBook Pro

2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 8-Core, 

32GB RAM

2TB SSD

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM

It's going to be interesting to see how CA X12 performs compared to my 2013 Mac Pro 

37 minutes ago, Electromen said:

I did it !

I ordered a 16" MacBook Pro

2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 8-Core, 

32GB RAM

2TB SSD

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM

It's going to be interesting to see how CA X12 performs compared to my 2013 Mac Pro 

Awesome, nice specs too.  I was tied to having to buy one locally so was unable to upgrade but it is still a pretty impressive machine.  I only use it for travelling whcih with COVID I have not been doing but what I did use it for was so much better than my old MBP 13 where I had to bring an external GPU and if I was going somewhere for a while had to find an external monitor or bring my second monitor.  16" is just big enough that it is doable for a day or so. 

Let us know your thoughts once you get it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the new Mac Pro for about two weeks.  It is at least equal to or superior to my Mac Pro.

3D views are instantly shown, no delay at all.  This is faster than the Mac Pro which takes about a second.

Ray Tracing is slightly faster by a few minutes.

I bought a CalDigit docking station and I'm waiting on two BenQ 27" 2705 monitors.  Then the MacBook Pro may become my main computer.

We'll see, I still like my Mac Pro and the setup I have using a Wacom Tablet and XKEYS for input. 

• Like 1