4.25 square tiles in Tile Backsplash

creatrix

Does anyone have any suggestions for making a 4.25" x 4.25" tile backsplash that I can insert different Talavera tiles in from the Library Browser?

CA tech gave me what seems complicated by using the Custom Backsplash tool and creating a slab of each tile.

And please don't ask for my signature — if it worked, I'd have it but it doesn't!

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 1.51.40 PM.png

Yes that would be challenging for sure but doable.  It would be the same sort of process with a Custom Backsplash or a wall material region or even polyline solids.  Otherwise you would need to harvest all of the texture files from the tiles you want to use and then in a photo editor put them together into some sort of a repeating pattern that would look right and could be applied to a single Backsplash.

Thanks Chopsaw! So if I go in to Photoshop and put the tiles together as I want, do I then bring in to Library Browser and how do I apply it to the backsplash? I'm trying now to just apply a single tile and not being successful.

6 minutes ago, creatrix said:

Thanks Chopsaw! So if I go in to Photoshop and put the tiles together as I want, do I then bring in to Library Browser and how do I apply it to the backsplash? I'm trying now to just apply a single tile and not being successful.

You'd put it in the library as a material and paint it onto a larger surface...but either way via putting it together in Photoshop or via individual tiles in Chief, it seems to me it's the same amount of work.  If you can get a sample picture of something like a 3X3 tile square or as big as you can get and don't mind that pattern repeating you'll have a much easier time.  Is that pic you attached the biggest sample you can get?

1 minute ago, creatrix said:

Yes

Okay, then your work is cut out for you. Still...if you can settle for some amount of repeating pattern you can save time by creating a square area of those 3 different tiles... say 6x6 tiles?... and then make that your material it'll repeat that pattern if you paint it onto a larger material region.  Otherwise you're stuck placing each tile over the entire surface...

Ok I guess I just have to play with it because I am still not understanding the specifics of what you are saying. I'll start with blocks of 9 tiles and import to browser. Seems crazy to pay this much for a program and have it be so time-consuming!

I very much appreciate your giving me your time in this!

1 minute ago, creatrix said:

Ok I guess I just have to play with it because I am still not understanding the specifics of what you are saying. I'll start with blocks of 9 tiles and import to browser. Seems crazy to pay this much for a program and have it be so time-consuming!

I very much appreciate your giving me your time in this!

Sorry to say, but ANY modeling software will have the same limitations when it comes to replicating materials.  Random patterns are especially difficult.

If you don't despise the idea of placing each tile like you're actually doing the tile job, then all you need to do is create one tile for each of those 3 different tile patterns and then start copying and placing away.  Sure it's a lot of work but you'll love the final look.  Be sure to place them on a special layer that you can lock when you're done.

Well... ya, it sounds like you have a lot to learn about the program yet, which is fine... we all started there, but you're attempting to something on skill level 6 and you're on skill level 1.  For creating layers you'll need to read the materials Chief provides here in their website and using the F1 key, and it's something you should definitely know and understand, but actually there's already a layer called Cabinets, Custom Backsplashes which you can use.  Build your backsplash on that layer.  
Here's a video about creating custom tile...  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10145/creating-custom-tile-materials.html

It's going to show you have to do a repeating pattern, which is not what I'm suggesting for you in this case, but you should understand the principles in it.
To make the 3 different tiles you're going to need to use Photoshop or another photo editing software to clip out one of each of those 3 different tiles and make them into 3 separate jpg or png files.  Once you've gotten that far, check back in... 

Oh... and try to clip 1/2 of the grout line width in each of the tiles you cut.   AND... they'll need to be perfectly square.  If those tiles in the photo are not actually perfectly square you're going need to do some fudging in Photoshop.

I used Mac photo edit to crop so they are perfectly square. I don't have any grout line since I have photos of each tile. Taking screenshots makes for fuzzier pics. Not sure how I'm going to show the client a terra cotta grout but I'll take that on once I get a damn pattern for the backsplash!

....In this backsplash below, I used the snipping tool of the customers tile pick, saved it in the library as a material and mapped it on my material region. Its quick,

795906527_jksavalli_Backsplash_RibbonHigh.thumb.png.da1710b27a1ededa256ae7e6567ec4a4.png and most important, the customer loved it. Even more important, I got the job!

The ribbon is just another material region with a tile found in the library.

Because of the random nature of your sample, it would be a bit challenging to have this fit together seamlessly without the use of third party software modifications as suggested. If you can get a large sample of this as DzinEye suggested, it just might work. Its quick to try this first before making your own custom tiles.

6 minutes ago, evergreen said:

I used the snipping tool of the customers tile pick, saved it in the library as a material and mapped it on my material region. Its quick,

Yep, this is a good method!...but won't work for off-angle lay unfortunately... unless you have all the same tile and can crop to corners to make a repeating pattern.

DzinEye, when i attempt to put the tile in your plan or mine, I get an "I" in a white circle w/ seriph unlike what is shown here.

When I try to take a screenshot to send to you, the cursor makes the I in the circle go away so I'm not able to show you what it looks like and 

the tile doesn't come into the plan? i have been successful with other brought in images (fabrics, etc.) so not sure what is not working now?

28 minutes ago, creatrix said:

DzinEye, when i attempt to put the tile in your plan or mine, I get an "I" in a white circle w/ seriph unlike what is shown here.

When I try to take a screenshot to send to you, the cursor makes the I in the circle go away so I'm not able to show you what it looks like and 

the tile doesn't come into the plan? i have been successful with other brought in images (fabrics, etc.) so not sure what is not working now?

I don't know either, but since you didn't put up your signature maybe you're using a different version.  What are you using?

38 minutes ago, creatrix said:

DzinEye, when i attempt to put the tile in your plan or mine, I get an "I" in a white circle w/ seriph

That sounds like you are placing a picture or image into your plan.

I think DzinEye needs to do a Backup Entire Plan so that we get the textures?

• Like 1