Cameras and Cross Sections

builtright3

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the cameras and cross section view, layers and defaults.

I make a new layer called "cross sections" because I want to separate it from the elevation camera views and it works real nice. The problem is that I want to be able to save the settings but if I change them for the framing sections at 3/8 or 1/2" scale then It messes up the camera views.

Is there a way of saving and/or copying this call out so I don't have to set it up 2 or 3 times on every drawing I do?

I'm afraid that if I set it as the default than it will mess up the camera views I use for elevations. Just having a hard time understanding it.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a0504138af7bef081992c7c46e08ac90.PNG

Any help would be appreciated. I need to understand sections better because it seems like I spend a lot of time on them and they could be more be more automatic. 

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the cameras and cross section view, layers and defaults.

I make a new layer called "cross sections" because I want to separate it from the elevation camera views and it works real nice. The problem is that I want to be able to save the settings but if I change them for the framing sections at 3/8 or 1/2" scale then It messes up the camera views.

Is there a way of saving and/or copying this call out so I don't have to set it up 2 or 3 times on every drawing I do?

I'm afraid that if I set it as the default than it will mess up the camera views I use for elevations. Just having a hard time understanding it.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to understand sections better because it seems like I spend a lot of time on them and they could be more be more automatic. 

Mr. Cool...

Go to Defaults>Camera Tools>Cross Section/Elevation>Layer...specify the layer you want to use each time you use the cross section/elevation camera.

You can do this for each camera view.

2020-04-09_15-42-47.thumb.png.50327038280f1daf7d29dbec873e2c99.png

22 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Mr. Cool...

Go to Defaults>Camera Tools>Cross Section/Elevation>Layer...specify the layer you want to use each time you use the cross section/elevation camera.

You can do this for each camera view.

2020-04-09_15-42-47.thumb.png.50327038280f1daf7d29dbec873e2c99.png

Steve, I apologies for my lack of being able to explain what I need. I will go back to my seminar videos and see if I can find my answer there. I don't even know how to properly explain what I'm trying to do.

Thank You

I have Anno Sets for these. For instance, for interior cabinet elevations I take the camera shot, choose my 1/2" scale interior elevation anno set and save the view. For building sections I have another anno set for that, and one for exterior elevations. Two clicks and done.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, builtright3 said:

If you are trying to add text to a section view...then, after creating the section elevation...choose one of your already created layersets where text is defined at a different scale, such as 1/2" or 3/8"...as Joey suggested above.  Or...maybe you just want to send to layout at a different scale? 

I've attached a quick layerset at 1/3" scale as an example...(you would switch to this layerset to add text to your section)

2020-04-09_16-58-14.thumb.png.66a66a7dc2ea975d0fe13c32b75147b2.png

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

I have Anno Sets for these. For instance, for interior cabinet elevations I take the camera shot, choose my 1/2" scale interior elevation anno set and save the view. For building sections I have another anno set for that, and one for exterior elevations. Two clicks and done.

Thank You!

I had it all set up I just wasn't using it properly. You told me exactly what I needed to know.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.1a9468bbbeffb7771196e51911615ffe.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.8eb4eda69553bf1e757326dcdf21e777.PNG

• Upvote 1