Garage Bonus Room - Roof & Exterior Wall Issues

JSLevine05

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble adding a bonus space above a three car, off-angle garage.  I'd like to add it as a story and a half and am using knee walls and short rooms to accomplish this.  I am finding that the roof planes penetrate the bonus space, the exterior wall shows a split where the knee walls join, and that the roof is not closing the floor platform (currently set to roughly 24") of the second floor.  In fact, it doesn't appear like the 2nd floor exterior walls are generating even though they are in the plan.  I've played with making the height of the two attic spaces on the outside of the bonus space larger (36") in an effort to raise the exterior rooms but that didn't seem to help at all. 

Any help, tips, or insight would be much appreciated.

New_Residential_v2.0.plan

InkedRoof Planes_LI.jpg

InkedExterior_LI.jpg

5 minutes ago, JSLevine05 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that and also changing to a number of different room types.  Didn't seem to have any effect for me.

Please upload your .plan file so we can have a better understanding of the issue

27 minutes ago, JSLevine05 said:

Its above the first picture and again below for convenience.  Thanks for taking a look!

New_Residential_v2.0.plan

Sorry didn't see this. 

Your frieze or gutter or some other profile is interceding the room, you can split your roof and make a short section for that intersection at the hip with that profile turned off.

Add wall breaks at your knee walls and that will fix part of the next problem.

Your attic rooms seem to be driving the plate height. Lower those rooms and you will see the anomaly disappear. Consider manually editing these roof planes and then designate your knee walls as having no room definition and it may fix it.

1 hour ago, solver said:

I'll suggest working on the visual anomalies later in the process, unless your structure (walls and roof) is perfect now.

Chief often fails to draw the soffit correctly where roof planes/walls join. Mostly it goes unnoticed as it is above the ceiling.

And a suggestion that's not directly related to your problems. Adding a couple of walls extending straight out from the house can clean up how the angled roof intersects with the house.

Eric - Thanks for the suggestion for adding a wall straight from the house...that sure helped clean up the angled intersects quite a bit!  I think I have the exterior walls and interior layout to a place I am happy about and was going to move on to setting exterior materials and floor trusses/beams but keep getting hung up on the open void showing interior of the floor platform.  It's the little things that always hang me up :).

55 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Sorry didn't see this. 

Your frieze or gutter or some other profile is interceding the room, you can split your roof and make a short section for that intersection at the hip with that profile turned off.

Add wall breaks at your knee walls and that will fix part of the next problem.

Your attic rooms seem to be driving the plate height. Lower those rooms and you will see the anomaly disappear. Consider manually editing these roof planes and then designate your knee walls as having no room definition and it may fix it.

The wall breaks at the knee walls helped the exterior wall seams....thanks so much!

It seems that Chief is ignoring the second floor exterior walls for some reason, but only when I generate the roof.  Below are two back-clipped cross sections, one with the roof generated and one without.  In the cross section with the roof, it is clear that the 2nd floor exterior walls have disappeared and the roof is bearing on the  1st floor walls.  However when I delete the roof planes, the 2nd floor exterior walls come back.

Back Clipped Section.jpg

Back Clipped Section - No Roof.jpg

3 hours ago, solver said:

Here is another way to control where the garage roof is building.

Disconnect the knee walls to form a single room (that's not an Attic).

Control the roof with ceiling height. After it is correct, turn off auto rebuild, raise the ceiling and reconnect the knee walls.

Thanks so much!  That seemed to have done the trick, I appreciate the help!