dimension center

Hammer7

Good morning, I'm trying to find the handle on centering my dimensions on the interior walls.  The exterior is working ok and I edited the defaults but my interior walls keep locating to surfaces.  Is there an overriding instruction that is keeping the program from locating the wall centers for the interiors.  Also I have tried this multiple times so my interior dimensions are generating multiple measurements.  Do I close and reopen the plan to change this?

dimension question.png

GUERINNI-PLAN_April_8.2020.plan

You just need to manually drag an extension line to the center and with a bit of accuracy! It looks as though you may have chose the 'center option' after those dimensions were placed. The existing dimensions will have to fixed manually or replaced with new dimension strings.

Also, make sure you are NOT using the "interior Dimension" tool. It is specifically for measuring the interior!

Someone might know better...but, I don't believe manual dimensions will locate the center of an interior wall.  However, Auto Exterior Dimension will located the center of interior walls that intersect perpendicular to an exterior wall.  

See attached;

2020-04-09_11-14-28.thumb.png.7faf11ddd2bf84eb0b5587c679d607a1.png

Sorry Rob, I don't understand.  What is it's purpose?  The screen shot was created prior to your suggestion but regardless I still can's seem to make it work and it's behavior being controlled by the Default dialog I think I have some box checked or unchecked.

Did you read the help topic I posted?

Interior Dimensions
Draw Interior Dimension lines parallel to walls in plan view to create interior dimensions.
The Interior Dimension  tool locates interior wall surfaces only. It does not dimension between layer surfaces in the same wall, and it does not locate walls unless it actually intersects them.
Interior Dimensions   locate either wall surfaces or the Main Layer, depending on the settings in the Locate Objects panel of the Dimension Defaults dialog. See Locate Objects Panel.

There are separate defaults for:

• Automatic Exterior Dimensions
  • Automatic Interior Dimensions
  • Manual Dimensions
  • etc.

You need to make sure you have all dimensions defaults set the way you want them before creating dimensions.

You also need to make sure you are using the correct dimensioning tool.  Generally the Automatic Dimensions will provide the most consistency - especially if you are wanting to dimension to interior wall center lines.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, solver said:

I believe your example shows exactly what I said above. You will only get a dimension to the centerline of an interior wall if the wall intersects with an exterior wall...as per your video example.  

Yes? No?

OK...I stand corrected.  You have to use the end-to-end dimension tool...and then it will dimension to the center of an interior wall.  But - if you use the interior dimension tool...it doesn't.  Weird...

This seems to be about as good a place as any to ask this question... especially of you builders out there:  
Do you really want to see a plan dimensioned to wall centers?

I've only ever built plans I dimensioned myself, and from my building experience I feel like wall center dimensions would be a PITA... no?  

Back in the days of drawing by hand, we drew 4" walls and dimensioned to the center - that was how builders wanted them. In todays world od CAD, it really makes more sense to use actual wall widths (3.5", 5.5" etc) and therefore dimension to one side.

However, 13'-6" center to center, is the same, plate to plate, so it really shouldnt be a big deal.

9 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

However, 13'-6" center to center, is the same, plate to plate, so it really shouldnt be a big deal.

Very true...but the plans I've ever seen usually dimension strings start from outside of exterior wall to interior wall centers...and then throw in a plumbing wall and at least to my brain it gets more complicated.

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

I did a video...please someone tell me if I've missed something.  

I just wanted to reply to something you said in your video regarding why anyone would use centre dimensions on interior walls. 
Two big reasons why most plans show the centre is that the centre won’t change even if the wall thickness might suddenly change. Also for walls to line up with support beams and columns, that definitely can vary at any moment, again the Center measurements will not change. Things always line up properly. 

You should always use center measurements.  You’re playing with fire if you don’t. 

Your carpenter is well versed in splitting dimensions of 2x4’s, 2 x6’s etc. It should be second nature to them. 

10 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I just wanted to reply to something you said in your video regarding why anyone would use centre dimensions on interior walls. 
Two big reasons why most plans show the centre is that the centre won’t change even if the wall thickness might suddenly change. Also for walls to line up with support beams and columns, that definitely can vary at any moment, again the Center measurements will not change. Things always line up properly. 

You should always use center measurements.  You’re playing with fire if you don’t. 

Your carpenter is well versed in splitting dimensions of 2x4’s, 2 x6’s etc. It should be second nature to them. 

45 years in wood frame construction...never saw a framer dimension to the center in my life.  Must be a regional thing...