Looking for advice...

JennRob

Hello all! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time... I’m looking to get a new computer for use in my design firm. I currently operate on Mac other than with my VR as that is done on a PC in my office for my clients.

I’m looking for something new that I can use both in my office connected to a large screen and in my clients homes. I would love something that can also be a tablet as well as a laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been thinking of either the iPad Pro or Surface Pro X, but I do not know if Chief Architect will operate on either of these.

Any advice would be helpful, or if anyone knows if either of these can handle Chief Architect that would be great!

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, JennRob said:

Hello all! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time... I’m looking to get a new computer for use in my design firm. I currently operate on Mac other than with my VR as that is done on a PC in my office for my clients.

I’m looking for something new that I can use both in my office connected to a large screen and in my clients homes. I would love something that can also be a tablet as well as a laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been thinking of either the iPad Pro or Surface Pro X, but I do not know if Chief Architect will operate on either of these.

Any advice would be helpful, or if anyone knows if either of these can handle Chief Architect that would be great!

Thanks!

Wait for the Surface Book 3, one of the few options that check all of the boxes you just mentioned

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2020 at 5:04 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Wait for the Surface Book 3, one of the few options that check all of the boxes you just mentioned

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the specs of the Surface Book 3, now that they're ready for pre-order. I am considering this as a replacement for my Alienware 17 R3. I believe you had mentioned in another post that you are hoping the SB3 will have a Thunderbolt port, and I do not see that listed in the specs. Is this a deal breaker for you?

9 minutes ago, DianneDSC said:

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the specs of the Surface Book 3, now that they're ready for pre-order. I am considering this as a replacement for my Alienware 17 R3. I believe you had mentioned in another post that you are hoping the SB3 will have a Thunderbolt port, and I do not see that listed in the specs. Is this a deal breaker for you?

I ordered the business model with the Quadro 3000 RTX card. Ships the 26 or later and will review in short order.

No thunderbolt port, big shame. The big plus however, was the improved dedicated graphics card on the tablet portion, effectively making it a graphics tablet.

The quadro card is future proof for my general use for the expected usefulness-cycle of a laptop, in my current workflow. Figure I will benefit for 4-6 years from the device.

Am bummed that it doesn't have thunderbolt, but I have been improving my network setup to hopefully climb that hurdle of expiring hardware.

38 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

The big plus however, was the improved dedicated graphics card on the tablet portion, effectively making it a graphics tablet.

The quadro card is future proof for my general use for the expected usefulness-cycle of a laptop,

I'll be very interested in your review -  interested to know about the cooling aspect, and if the tablet portion can handle 3d views in Chief. Not that using 3D in tablet mode is important, just curious. I had not considered the quadro card as Chief is my only design program. I, too, am looking for a laptop to last 4-6 years. My AW is just shy of 4 years old, and could probably be fine for a little longer. But having something that is zippier would be a nice improvement. Also, having something that is easier to take on site for as-built drawings would be awesome.

2 minutes ago, DianneDSC said:

I had not considered the quadro card as Chief is my only design program

It only makes sense that chief develop future versions to incorporate Real time raytracing, which the quadro card will excel at. Stay tuned!
My interest in the graphics tablet is in hopes that it replace my iPad with the added benefit of being able to run programs that my iPad cannot.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Rene what do you recommend now for a cost effective tablet with pen for asbuilt measures using chief?