Strange macro not executing problem

Joe_Carrick

I have a macro in an object label that sets data values in a global hash.

I have another macro in a custom field that uses that global hash, summing values to display in a schedule column.

For some reason when I load the plan the display in the schedule column is not updated.  If I select the schedule and move it (up arrow on keyboard) that column is updated with the correct data.  This is the only place I'm finding it not displaying properly when the plan is first opened, but it means that I have to open that view and move the schedule in order to have the correct data displayed.  It's imperative that I do this whenever I'm going to print the Layout.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Yes unfortunately but you are the macro guru. Some do not update on every refresh while others do. Sometimes F12 works. Any ideas as to why and is it a new X12 problem  ?

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes unfortunately but you are the macro guru. Some do not update on every refresh while others do. Sometimes F12 works. Any ideas as to why and is it a new X12 problem  ?

It's definitely a new problem with X12.  I think it's due to a fix in X12 to speed up pan/zoom but there are just some cases where a macro gets skipped.  So far, I'm only seeing it in some Schedule Columns 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

So far, I'm only seeing it in some Schedule Columns 

Interesting.  My current issue is with some Schedule Rows ( Horizontal Data )

My macro's will actually update with a little zoom most of the time but your idea of moving the schedule does not seem to work for me.

I seems to help to have the object displayed on screen but have not tested that theory extensively.

58 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Interesting.  My current issue is with some Schedule Rows ( Horizontal Data )

My macro's will actually update with a little zoom most of the time but your idea of moving the schedule does not seem to work for me.

I seems to help to have the object displayed on screen but have not tested that theory extensively.

I think it would depend on exactly how the macro is written and when it's executed.  I generally open my Layout first which supposedly will cause all macros contained in the plan (what's been sent to Layout) to execute.

In the case I describe the data in that particular column only updates when a forced redisplay of the schedule occurs.  This can happen with the move, F12 or Open the Schedule for Edit.

There may be other ways to update - possibly selecting one of the objects and opening it for edit.  F5 and F6 don't seem to do the job.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think it would depend on exactly how the macro is written and when it's executed.

It seems to me that by my amateur diagnosis that a column failure may be due to the structure and execution of the macro where a row failure has more to do with an incomplete update issue on chief's behalf.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

It seems to me that by my amateur diagnosis that a column failure may be due to the structure and execution of the macro where a row failure has more to do with an incomplete update issue on chief's behalf.

I can't tell without seeing your macro(s)

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Sometimes the site data macros just won't update and all I get is a blank site data analysis, I then have to restart chief and everything is ok .  Doesn't do it every time , just sometimes.

Without knowing the exact sequence when it happens I can't give you any guidance.  I have found that sometimes I can force the update by hitting the F5 key twice in rapid succession.

Without studying and troubleshooting the plans and macro code, there’s not much I can offer, but for whatever it’s worth, the most powerful refresh you can run for schedules is Cut/Paste Hold Position or Undo/Redo.  They’re something I have to do for a few specific types of object attributes, and they’re the ONLY things that consistently work for those items.