soffit

creeter

In the remodeling field we never use trusses and contractors here don't want them for several reasons, the existing house isn't square, the framer then must cut each rafter to work. Drawings are mostly hand measured so it could be off there also. there are no exact measurements. If I do have trusses on a plan it just to show the existing trusses, but the new is always stick built.

6 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

In the remodeling field we never use trusses and contractors here don't want them for several reasons, the existing house isn't square, the framer then must cut each rafter to work. Drawings are mostly hand measured so it could be off there also. there are no exact measurements. If I do have trusses on a plan it just to show the existing trusses, but the new is always stick built.

Unfortunately Perry,  here in California, as you know the cost of stick framing is becoming overwhelmingly expensive.  The cost of lumber has gone up dramatically and the cost of a good framer is crazy expensive, let alone engineers are over designing which brings the cost up even more.  This is primarily why we are starting to use trusses in more applications as it brings the load to the exterior of the walls and we are not having to bring the loads downward where more interior beams and footings are required.  I have been a proclaimed advocate for stick framing for many years and could put any framer to shame when asked how do I frame it, but I have to say that it is becoming much more economical on the industry of code enforcement in the state of California, especially when home building prices are in the range of $600/s.f.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DzinEye said:

and my roofs tend to be fairly complex, all making trusses far less cost effective.

This is a large part of my business. Many of my clients "love" vaulted spaces. More often than not a truss just won't work.

14 hours ago, DzinEye said:

and I absolutely despise scissor trusses

ditto

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

He said to me..."most of our clients think that homes constructed with trusses are cheap".  This statement just shows a perception that still exists...not only by the people in construction but also by customers who are purchasing large and expensive homes.  I have no doubt this gentleman believed what he said...because all production homes are constructed with trusses (in my area)...and Arthur Rutenberg does not want their customers to associate Rutenberg custom homes with lower priced production homes.

Well... it's not a secret that production home builders began using roof trusses for one reason, and one reason only, to save money.  Better quality was not part of the equation.  
Just seeing those press plates with wood splintering out around the connection just 'looks' sloppy no matter how accurately shaped and structurally sound they are. 
So even though they are a fine product, it's a hard stigma to get rid of.  Even so, I've never made any comment to sway any client in favor of stick vs. truss.  My structural engineer HAS suggested over the years for a few homes I designed that myself and the owners should consider using trusses and in two of those cases we did.  

For a production house builder the cost savings of prefab trusses is exponentially higher than for a one-off custom home.  

Scary to hear all these stories from you guys about structural decisions being made in the field between framer and inspector... or framer alone???   That does not happen here in my area... at least for sure if an inspector is involved.  Every single thing needs come back to myself and/or the engineer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjanderson66 said:

Unfortunately Perry,  here in California, as you know the cost of stick framing is becoming overwhelmingly expensive.  The cost of lumber has gone up dramatically and the cost of a good framer is crazy expensive, let alone engineers are over designing which brings the cost up even more.  This is primarily why we are starting to use trusses in more applications as it brings the load to the exterior of the walls and we are not having to bring the loads downward where more interior beams and footings are required.  I have been a proclaimed advocate for stick framing for many years and could put any framer to shame when asked how do I frame it, but I have to say that it is becoming much more economical on the industry of code enforcement in the state of California, especially when home building prices are in the range of $600/s.f.

Well I don't know any framer that wants to use trusses unless it's a new stand alone project, they are all aware of the price but it doesn't phase them at all. They have all been around forever and I have drawn for them over 45 years. they also aren't just framers, they build the whole project ,sell it and pay for it. Maybe its different where you are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Well I don't know any framer that wants to use trusses unless it's a new stand alone project, they are all aware of the price but it doesn't phase them at all. They have all been around forever and I have drawn for them over 45 years. they also aren't just framers, they build the whole project ,sell it and pay for it. Maybe its different where you are.

Don't get me wrong Perry, most of the projects I do are High end remodels and are stick framed but for a new home trusses are the only way to go.  The unfortunate thing is a lot of home owners who are doing custom homes think trusses are only for track homes so the yare willing to pay for the good stuff.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Michael_Gia said:

Unless you’re framing your own home, I don’t see the savings benefit of not going with manufactured roof trusses. 

Allowing a carpenter to build rafters on site for a decently sized home is costing you money in time wasted, mistakes, and questionable on site structural guess work. 

I don’t get it. This is why I don’t see why a program like Chief, which is so well suited to sending plans off to a Truss manufacturer, isn’t more geared to prefab roof trusses instead of onsite rafters. 

As someone who has framed hundreds of homes in the last 35 years, I've probably used trusses on less than 15-20 of those. The primary reason being most were complicated, multi-pitch, cut-up, hip roofs with rooms of varying heights. Yes, I know even those type houses *can* be trussed, but if I were putting it together, I'd charge 5X versus what i would for stick-framing. Most all of the truss homes we've done had rooms with long, clear spans or cathedrals where stick-framing. just wasn't a viable alternative.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StephenGreene said:

As someone who has framed hundreds of homes in the last 35 years, I've probably used trusses on less than 15-20 of those. The primary reason being most were complicated, multi-pitch, cut-up, hip roofs with rooms of varying heights. Yes, I know even those type houses *can* be trussed, but if I were putting it together, I'd charge 5X versus what i would for stick-framing. Most all of the truss homes we've done had rooms with long, clear spans or cathedrals where stick-framing. just wasn't a viable alternative.

Your absolutely correct Stephen and here is a great example of a project that I am currently working on where the engineer designed it with trusses.

Kim roof plan.jpg

kim proposed 17-1.jpg

kim proposed 17-7.jpg

19 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Nice design, Christopher @cjanderson66.  Is the b&b in the front gables a modified texture you made? I like the white-washed look. The 1x battens must be separate, right?

Mike,

The B&B is the standard white board & batten texture but what I did was change the material color to white and then on texture tab in material color checked the blend with texture to make it stand out a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all. I am usually lurking hardly post., this thread however piques my interest. 30 plus years designing and working in the field. About to wrap up the house i have attached the roof system for. This design was priced for trusses. It would not provide the client with what they desired within budgetary constraints. Mainly a non usable 3rd floor for double the money.  I believe with careful planning and an understanding of point load transfers you can stick frame most roof systems. This home was designed so the load paths are pretty much not interrupted all the way to the ground. If you do not have confidence in the team you are using in the field to accomplish the task you need to find another team. Through out our industry everyone has become specialized. The term builder use to mean someone who could not only manage the job but could perform almost all the tasks. Today builder is the guy on the cell phone that only knows who to call. Those of us work in the field and behind the computer have an advantage we get to see if it worked or get to fix it if it doesn't.  Stick has its place trusses have there place. Confident people in the field can make either work. 

Permitting set Oakdale 4.8.118_Page_10.jpg

soffit at ceiling height with stick.jpg