Microsoft Surface

DesignByChad

9 hours ago, DesignByChad said:

Is anyone using MS Surface machine with x12 ? Do you get good speed and graphics rendering?

Thanks, 

Chad

I am using Surface Pro 4-i7. Have been for several years.  Haven't done anything in X12 yet, but have opened a couple of plans haven't seen much difference in speed on my SP yet.  A lot is going to depend on the complexity of the plan and other nuances that take place, as you develop a plan.  3D views have been a bit slow at times (X11) but again it was as much related to the complexity I believe vs the age of my SP. This isn't much help, if you're thinking of going to a Surface Pro, I'm sure the newer ones will do the job. 

I would recommend that you might be best to only consider the Surface Book as this is available with a discrete NVidia graphics card. All other Surface models are only available with the Intel integrated graphics chip.  Though this chip seems to work I have found things to be glitchy, especially if you are PBR'ing and it is definitely a lot slower than a dedicated graphics card.

I have a Surface Pro 6 - i7 w/16 GB RAM. For everything except rendering it's great. If you can stick to vector views, it's very fast. As mentioned above, for regular work, you will want a larger secondary monitor. It can do rendering just fine, but nowhere close to a dedicated graphics card.

7 hours ago, DesignByChad said:

Thanks for the information. Let me ask? When you say rendering do you mean doing like a ray trace or just poping up a full over view and do the overviews rotate OK?

I guess that was a little imprecise. I was referring to any view that is using OpenGL. There is a significantly longer delay with the initial generation, but after the view generates, you can spin it just fine.