TEXT WIDTH ISSUE

KINGSTONDRAFTER

I frequently transfer Chief files between my PC & Laptop.  Consistantly when opening files after transferring, the width of text has contracted by a space and forces a 2nd text line to be created.  This happens in both plan and layout files.  If I then select all the text on a plan or layout and open, and then close, the text widths correct themselves and all is okay.  Annoying.
Any ideas or remedies?   Thanks
Glen

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

I don’t recall the trick but it has something to do with the screen size.  I would recommend searching the forum as it has been discussed many times.

He is already using the only known "trick" or work around that I am aware of....

3 hours ago, KINGSTONDRAFTER said:

I then select all the text on a plan or layout and open, (the DBX) and then close it , and the text widths correct themselves and all is okay.

M.

21 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

He is already using the only known "trick" or work around that I am aware of....

M.

Quick search on my phone but this is just one of the ones I remember seeing about this and I think it is @Renerabbitt who has another work around.  I remember other cases and other tricks were out there as well.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21441-wrapping-text-on-different-computers/?tab=comments#comment-177485

16 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Quick search on my phone but this is just one of the ones I remember seeing about this and I think it is @Renerabbitt who has another work around.  I remember other cases and other tricks were out there as well.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21441-wrapping-text-on-different-computers/?tab=comments#comment-177485

there have been other "workarounds" but over the last 2 (?) years or more, but it seems like the group select, open ( do nothing) and Close Trick works for everyone.

M.

34 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

there have been other "workarounds" but over the last 2 (?) years or more, but it seems like the group select, open ( do nothing) and Close Trick works for everyone.

I think the trick Ryan is mentioning from that post is for a preemptive workaround vs the fix after the issue occurs: 

"The only work around I know of is to switch from auto width , expanding the width of the text box manually and hitting the return key to fudge your text box width.....thus negating the word wrap"
" A simple text marco will word wrap correctly to its formatted rich text box width"

Those methods can be used to avoid the issue all together for anyone interested. Though I find them to be more cumbersome for my workflow...Easier to marque select similar,select all, hit ctrl+e, then alt+enter. 

This has been happening for many years. Files, screen shots, and bug reports have been submitted. Tech support apparently has been unable to reproduce this, and therefore nothing has been done. The best they've been able to come up with is likely a display "scaling setting" causing this when it is other than 100%. Welcome to the club. :rolleyes: