Applying material to balusters

Larry_Sweeney

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or this is the way it has to be. I'm trying to model these 18th century balusters and I can't get the material to show correctly. In the attachment the baluster on the left the material is applied using the same material for both the square areas and the turned areas with the "A" results. I rotated the texture 90 degrees on the "turned" areas and it applied the texture with "B" look. I'm trying to get the grain to look like "C" on the entire baluster. Is this possible? For the turned area I made a molding profile, made a I/16" circle for the molding polyline and applied the molding profile to it. The squares are p-solids. I think this would be the correct way to make these balusters, but after trying to apply the walnut grain material I'm thinking there might be a better way to make the symbol to get the correct material "looking" results. I'm thinking when you add a wood grain material to the "regular" baluster there isn't an issue like I'm having with the material. I have to set out for a couple of hours so I won't be able to get back to any comments or advice for awhile. Thank you and be safe.

balusters.jpg

Not sure if it will help but Michael posted this tip the other day when someone was having issues with fascia board textures. try setting....

3D View Defaults>Legacy Compatible Texture Mapping

M.

Pretty sure you're not going to be able to easily get the result you want within Chief.  But possibly could improve it by reducing the face count on those areas.  Those C faces you like are just one single face, while the turned areas are made up of probably hundreds of faces, with each of those faces trying to show that grain separately.   As Mick suggested, Michael may be able to help if he jumps in, but Rene too is especially adept at this kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick...….………...That did help a lot. It's still not perfect, but it is definitely better. I can live with it anyway .:) Thank you. Be safe and have a great day

Great ! it seems in the last version or two "Textures" have gotten a little too smart at times, and try to rotate automatically ( eg Fir Framing going 90° for a Joist or Beam vs a Stud) 

M.