Shower Door Settings

rgardner

Hope all are staying safe and sane out there.

Have a small issue I need help working through.  Really not a huge deal but...  This is always something that I did manually before but watching @Renerabbitt's great tutorial on showers the other day I picked up a couple of pointers and decided to fix my template with a shower room.  I have always just adjusted the shower door, curb wall, 1/2 wall etc to the settings so everything worked correctly but thought hey, why don't I get it set up right in my template...

Anyways not sure what I am doing wrong here but here is my issue:

1.) Set Glass Pony Wall Defaults (pretty much out of box but changed to 42" & 38" elevation heights for even numbers as inside and outside floor finishes are different in shower rooms

image.thumb.png.3a5665235ea9813ad0d4eb1a60242399.pngimage.thumb.png.07b5f1224ffddf70b2d3a1e2a9f3f64f.png

2.) Set Interior Glass shower door Defaults to 74" Height 6" off of ground top height 80"

image.thumb.png.668f8456b4a6eb30d0bc42f063dc5f24.png

3.) Place Walls & Door to check it, cut 1/2 wall where I want the door and change to 6" high & 74" high instead for curb height. 

End resultssample template plan.plan:

image.thumb.png.5f2654c9813b7ba0913b41e8b43ebcf2.pngimage.thumb.png.dd012578bf78fbce574c7c67ce520181.png

It seems to correct the interior door by 1 1/4" (Thickness of my wall cap).  Am I doing something wrong?  I just changed my door setting to 74" height to get it to flush correctly but even adding it to the door height in my defaults and it cuts it off the same height.

Thoughts?  What am I missing here?  Any help would be very much appreciated!  Bonus points for anyone who can help me with adding in a macro into the roof plane label @ template level.  I always just group select the roof planes at the end and add my macro for the label but am thinking maybe there is a way to do that at the template level?

Thanks for any and all help!

image.png

43 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

@rgardner Not in front of it right now but try unchecking Interior Door Spec/Framing/Header/Default and see if that works

Thanks for the idea but I checked that originally and do not have headers turned on. 

7 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Thanks for the idea but I checked that originally and do not have headers turned on. 

I just opened it on my end, no issue saving it to library as the the correct dimension and dropping it in. I could login to your computer and help a bit later when my household wakes up(we partied last night)

11 hours ago, rgardner said:

cut 1/2 wall where I want the door and change to 6" high & 74" high instead for curb height. 

This is the issue AFAICT........  the Curb just needs to be a 6" high tiled both sides, Railing Wall ( set 6" high) with Cap ... not a PonyWall  

And AFAIK there is currently no way to Add a Default Roof Label , though I have made a Feature Request for the same thing myself.

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

This is the issue AFAICT........  the Curb just needs to be a 6" high tiled both sides, Railing Wall ( set 6" high) with Cap ... not a PonyWall  

And AFAIK there is currently no way to Add a Default Roof Label , though I have made a Feature Request for the same thing myself.

M.

That makes sense!!! Thanks Mick

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I just opened it on my end, no issue saving it to library as the the correct dimension and dropping it in. I could login to your computer and help a bit later when my household wakes up(we partied last night)

Thanks for the offer Rene, I know how to make it right.  I was trying to get it right so when I do it for my template it is right.  I See Mick figures out which step I was missing.  Just a 6” rail instead of a pony wall.

3 hours ago, rgardner said:

That makes sense!!! Thanks Mick

Well I spoke too soon.  Thinking about it that wouldn't work because it wouldn't be able to have the shower door added to it.  I went back and tried just in case but yes it just puts a 6" high shower door into the curb.  The door continues to come in exactly the 1.25" short or thickness of the wall cap.  I tried adjusting it to be 1.25" longer and it still cuts it off that length every time.  it isn't putting it at the 4.75" height below the cap either it starts it where it should and ends it every time at 72.75" tall or 78.75" overall.

As Rene mentioned the only way to get it to work correctly is if I add the shower door as a symbol (even with the default settings I have) to my user library and place it from there.  Which is what I am going to do for now.  But it seems like a glitch to me unless someone can figure out why it is happening as it very well could be something I am overlooking.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Well I spoke too soon.  Thinking about it that wouldn't work because it wouldn't be able to have the shower door added to it.  I went back and tried just in case but yes it just puts a 6" high shower door into the curb.  The door continues to come in exactly the 1.25" short or thickness of the wall cap.  I tried adjusting it to be 1.25" longer and it still cuts it off that length every time.  it isn't putting it at the 4.75" height below the cap either it starts it where it should and ends it every time at 72.75" tall or 78.75" overall.

As Rene mentioned the only way to get it to work correctly is if I add the shower door as a symbol (even with the default settings I have) to my user library and place it from there.  Which is what I am going to do for now.  But it seems like a glitch to me unless someone can figure out why it is happening as it very well could be something I am overlooking.

Thoughts?

You didn't play long enough  ? :)  works for me , I did test it.....can't say exactly what I did differently though right now....I'd have to try again...

but here is your plan back just in case.

MHD_sample template plan.plan

image.thumb.png.f9364acd628415fb3754dbaa894f51b3.png

27 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You didn't play long enough  ? :)  works for me , I did test it.....can't say exactly what I did differently though right now....I'd have to try again...

but here is your plan back just in case.

MHD_sample template plan.plan

image.thumb.png.f9364acd628415fb3754dbaa894f51b3.png

Thanks Mick for the try.  It looks like you had to manually adjust the door just like I have been doing.  You have a 6" high tile 2 sided wall there and when you place the door into it it actually has a -3/4" height.

image.thumb.png.7bd14ea1f7b3267572848c79c202503c.png

Messing with what you did I was able to get it right but I had to 1.) set that curb wall to 80" single type railing wall (not pony wall), then place the door which gave me the right height. then 2.) change that wall to a 6" high railing wall.  However the door that remained was not at the right point until I changed it to a two way swinging which placed the hinges in the middle.  (Which does make sense.)  The problem is that you have to do that work around from placing it as a 80" railing then place the door then back to 6".  It makes me think it is acting more and more like a bug???  The whole reason I am trying to get this to work as a template is because I always manually adjusted it in every shower before.  Only way to make it work without having to set everything on the door manually is if I use the one that I saved to my library.  Again not a big deal but seems like it might be something that could trip up others.  I know that one client I work with does lots of showers and she always was fighting with this and until I started working with her she couldn't figure out how to adjust it to show it properly.  Seems like maybe A.) I am doing something wrong or B.) there is a bug in this setting as it seems to take the wall cap thickness off of both sections of walls not just 1 section.  Also there may be times when you don't want that door to go from solid wall to half wall.  You might want the front to be all glass with the door set in the side of it and then transition to a 42" pony wall near the corner...  If that is the case you have to place everything then go back in and manually set all of those settings instead of the default door placing properly.

image.thumb.png.89eaa287e759c260b3e0199c8c6f1f9d.png

After placing the Door all I did was set it's top height back to 74" ,  The Rest I had set in the Shower Door Defaults already , eg single door , swing both etc.

**Just tried it again to make sure I remembered what I did and all I needed was the top height adjustment  

Chief's Parametric Doors do have to be placed in a Wall , so I am/was a bit surprised I could even place the door since my defaults set it at 6 1/4" off the floor,

so technically above the Wall , so I was Happy all I had to do was rest it's height from the floor.

In the Past I just used my Own Shower Door I made as it's not a Door as Chief sees it, so these quirks don't happen.

Mick.

35 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

After placing the Door all I did was set it's top height back to 74" ,  The Rest I had set in the Shower Door Defaults already , eg single door , swing both etc.

**Just tried it again to make sure I remembered what I did and all I needed was the top height adjustment  

Chief's Parametric Doors do have to be placed in a Wall , so I am/was a bit surprised I could even place the door since my defaults set it at 6 1/4" off the floor,

so technically above the Wall , so I was Happy all I had to do was rest it's height from the floor.

In the Past I just used my Own Shower Door I made as it's not a Door as Chief sees it, so these quirks don't happen.

Mick.

Yeah I was able to place it too but have all along.  I guess what I am looking for is it to be able to be placed into a wall and not have to go back and resize it just like it is designed to be done.  But the more and more I see it seems to be a glitch since it takes the wall cap out of both the bottom wall height as well as the door height.  I guess unless someone else has something I will submit it to technical support and just keep using my door in my user catalog.

12 hours ago, rgardner said:

I guess what I am looking for is it to be able to be placed into a wall and not have to go back and resize it just like it is designed to be done.

I guess it depends on how you look at it - why would you expect Chief to place a 74" high Door "in" a 6" high wall automatically?  as I said it surprise me we can even do it.

M.

38 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I guess it depends on how you look at it - why would you expect Chief to place a 74" high Door "in" a 6" high wall automatically?  as I said it surprise me we can even do it.

M.

I usually have a 6” pony wall and a 74” glass shower wall setup as I usually have some “full-height” glass wall and the door doesn’t always go from wall to 42” wall as in this plan.  So I setup my default shower door 6” from floor and 74” high to the same specs as my standard wall.  The very reason for this whole thread.  But when I place the door there it subtracts the wall cap height from the door height.  Regardless if I add that amount to the default door or not.  The weird thing is when placed from the user library instead of the template default “location” it places correctly which is my very point with this inquest.

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

The weird thing is when placed from the user library instead of the template default “location” it places correctly which is my very point with this inquest.

I guess I missed that way back there somewhere ?

Sounds like you have a solution though, and you can even make a Icon for it and not use Chief's Door Dropdown for Shower Doors 

My guess would be that by saving it to the Library the Door "loses" some of it Parametric behaviors  ( it's "smarts" ) which in this Case is a good thing ...

M. 

Just now, Kbird1 said:

I guess I missed that way back there somewhere ?

Sounds like you have a solution though, and you can even make a Icon for it and not use Chief's Door Dropdown for Shower Doors 

My guess would be that by saving it to the Library the Door "loses" some of it Parametric behaviors  ( it's "smarts" ) which in this Case is a good thing ...

M. 

Yeah that is what I was thinking too.

thanks for all your time trying to help.  Glad to know it wasn’t something I have been doing wrong.

5 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Yeah that is what I was thinking too.

thanks for all your time trying to help.  Glad to know it wasn’t something I have been doing wrong.

You could still send it in as I think it works correctly if you don't have the 1/2 wall part - ie 6" all the way across , it's when you break it like in Rene's Video it all goes a bit sideways ...literally in my case yesterday... the curb part jumped 1/2 the wall width approx. each time I tried it and I had to realign them.

M.