Dimensioning Railings

MichaelaS

I have a railing that is currently being dimensioned to from the outside of the panel. I would like to transition that dimension to either the center of the post or the outside of the post. However, I am unable to manipulate the extension line itself to snap to the corner of the post. 

You could place a point for the center of each post. Place them on the same layer as your dimensions and use the drawing order tool to make sure they're under the railing. If your railing doesn't have a fill style and your don't want to see them in the printed view, make those points white. You'll still be able to see them, depending on your working view background color.

Take a "cad detail from view" of the plan.  Copy (or add) cad lines back into your floor plan and dimension to those lines.  You may want to put them on some unique layer so you can turn these temp cad lines off...not sure it'll be necessary...just an option.  

Standard dimension lines will snap to any cad lines you drop into the floor plan...so, if you grab the cad lines (in the cad detail from view) that make up the handrail...then, copy what you want, go back to the plan view and use "paste and hold position" these cad lines will be placed exactly where you need them. Then...add dimensions.

24 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You shouldn't have any problem moving your dimension lines to snap to the center of those walls without using any workarounds other than actually moving the node...

Posts.thumb.jpg.32e63e2399e4f61b5aea1ea76ad653ec.jpg

But if she wants to dimension to the intermediate posts? Which is what I understood...but I don't really know.