SCISSOR GABLE END @ PATIO

tjsage1

Good morning robdyck, and thanks a lot.  When this little project is complete, I will know where I need more training.  Why would I continue to lose some items like the deck post @ the two story entrance.  I have rebuilt them often, mostly after a re-rendering?  Thanks again for the help.   I'll be looking for a training video.

56 minutes ago, tjsage1 said:

Good morning robdyck, and thanks a lot.  When this little project is complete, I will know where I need more training.  Why would I continue to lose some items like the deck post @ the two story entrance.  I have rebuilt them often, mostly after a re-rendering?  Thanks again for the help.   I'll be looking for a training video.

With a deck, it's critical to understand that it behaves a bit differently than other rooms. "Decks" work best when used for a typical deck...framing and deck planks. Keep in mind that the auto frame feature is really only useful for visualization and if Auto-Frame is on, it'll rebuild the framing as per its defaults, even if you edit it. Turning off the auto-framing for decks is NOT reliable. To avoid that problem, use a different room type like a balcony. There are better ways to show the framing (if you need to) than the deck auto-framing tools.

If you double-click the deck beam I put in your plan, you'll notice it's a General Framing member, placed on deck beam layer, and shown in the schedule as a deck beam. I do that so that Chief will leave it alone. 

BTW a quick tip that does help with those scissor vaulted porches.  Someone on here shared this a while back.  Don't remember who but THANKS to whoever it was:

1 way of many to do it:  Setup Ceiling planes in that "Deck Room" and set the vault/height/etc.  Pull it out to the edge of that wall instead of the inside of the attic wall which will cut the exterior wall that way.

I don't do them that often but I remember this method seemed to work how I wanted it to on that project.