"Fills" for materials in Room Specifications

Larry_Sweeney

I'm attempting to show "fill" in some of my material in the Structure Tab of my Room Specifications so they show solid with no "background lines"when I do an "Auto Detail". For instance, in the "Floor Finish (K)" I have 1/2 cement board, which I put a fill in and it showed when I did an Auto Detail. I then put a fill in my 3/4" plywood subfloor isted in the "Floor Structure (L)", but it did not show when I did an Auto Detail. I was trying to put a solid fill in these items because in an enlarged detail of a cross section you can always see other lines showing inside of these items due to the fact that they don't have fill. Always before when I did an enlarged detail I would go an fill these places in on the enlarged detail manually one at a time. I thought if I could figure a way to have them all filled using "Auto Detail" it would save me time. What I don't understand is why one item will show the fill and another item won't. I also used solid fill for all my material in the "Wall Type" and they all showed after doing a Auto Detail. Other than the 3/4" plywood in the Floor Structure Tab I've had flavorful results. Am I going about this in the wrong way? Is their another dbx. where I can put fill in the 3/4" plywood subfloor and it will show after doing an Auto Detail?

Am I going about this in the wrong way?

I don't think so, what I think you are seeing is merely the limits of the feature's automaticity. This should perhaps be tendered as a "Suggestion" or perhaps a bug request to Tech Support (or both). Changing the fills manually I consider is just "part of one's job" in terms of cross sections and details but I do see your implied feature change as something potentially useful and time saving.

DJP

For the most part, works for me too.  HOWEVER, if I have a plan with a crawlspace and I want to show insulation in the floor joist area, when I put a check in the box to autodetail for insulation, and then click on the autodetail tool, Chief automatically unchecks the selection box and will not display the insulation in a section view.

If I want to show additional insulation in the ceiling area, and want it to show as "continuous" insulation, I have to select Chief's auto insulation in the joist area and stretch it up for greater depth.  I can put another layer on top of the ceiling framing and have it auto detail as insulation but then what is shown is two different insulation layers.  It would be nice if Chief would combine two adjacent layers as one insulation fill, if we so choose.  It would also be nice if we could select the fill type for the auto insulation Chief puts in for us.  I often spec cellulose insulation and I would prefer to use the "particle" pattern Chief provides rather than the typical insulation pattern Chief uses.

My error on not being able to display an insulation fill in the floor joists.  I was doing something wrong when I tested it the first time.  I can display the fill but for whatever reason, I cannot make it transparent so that I can see the lines of the I-joists, which I would like to see.

I would still like to be able to edit the shape of any insulation pattern Chief generates.  Right now we can only stretch it (or compress it L/R and U/D.