Wall display in plan view?

ACADuser

Working on a small plan with windows above windows & doors.

I did not want the upper windows to display in plan view so I use another Window Layer.

The result is missing wall segments. The fix is easy, just add filled polylines

but is there a setting for this? I did not want a second floor.

CA High Windows.JPG

Largo 1.zip

Thanks all.

I tried the Window levels. But not what I wanted, but thanks for the tip.

Thought about the pony wall last night & tried this morning. I had to break the wall to get the window on right to show properly.

This is what I am going with. Thanks Eric.

CA Window Level.JPG

CA Pony Wall.JPG

Those kinds of things can be a PITA to get rid of sometimes...for me.  Perhaps someone has a better solution...  I usually just erase from the layout, but it appears you have 3 separate attic walls, and those are showing the joints.  If you're done modeling the roof, you could try turning off "auto-rebuild attic walls" and then delete the two right pieces of attic wall and stretch the far left piece all the way to the right.

18 hours ago, Kiwideziner said:

use window levels to find out more use F1 key.

Thanks for mentioning this Graeme,
Even though it's not the solution Alan was seeking, I have often had issues with transom windows... this may help.  Definitely going to play around with it.

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

OK one more wall issue. Can't seem to get rid of these attic wall lines in vector view.

I tried reversing the east-west wall exterior but no joy.

CA Wall Joint.JPG

Bob...

I believe the problem has been created by the way you set the building ceiling elevation.  I didn't check every room...but it appears you have the ceiling height set to 180" everywhere.  This is the problem.  

What I think you should have done is set the ceiling height to 109.125 (or whatever the base ceiling height should be).  Then, uncheck "flat ceiling" on the room structure tab...put the roof on the building and let the software create "attic walls" to fill the void.  I also used a "doorway" to create the opening that leads to the restrooms in place of using an invisible wall...just seems to be easier and works more consistently.  

Here is my sketch...maybe it'll help you understand what I did:  Bob - Plan with Shed Roof 01.plan

As you can see from the pics I've attached...this is how my attached plan was created and these "quirky" PIA problems do not exist.  

2020-04-02_14-02-16.thumb.png.07746b966946305382d38e68d63b731b.png2020-04-02_14-00-30.thumb.png.a4fd9de8daab821bd0793888bca39779.png2020-04-02_13-59-16.thumb.png.6fa0bab0788e30a7357a55f108a54462.png

• Upvote 1

Steve,

Thanks for the alternate method.

I used your building set plate height at 9' added the roof.

The roof was too low for my 20" desired trusses so I added sloped ceiling at 9' & raise the roof to get 20" trusses.

Then I was able to create the trusses.

Now to see if I can modify my plan to match.

52 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Steve,

Thanks for the alternate method.

I used your building set plate height at 9' added the roof.

The roof was too low for my 20" desired trusses so I added sloped ceiling at 9' & raise the roof to get 20" trusses.

Then I was able to create the trusses.

Now to see if I can modify my plan to match.

Probably missing what you are saying here or this particular job's details but if you set your roof structure to reflect the 20" parallel chord trusses then it should have built it properly.  

10 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Ryan,

Would you take a look and tell me where I went wrong on this roof thickness.

I tried to set the roof as you suggested. Largo 2.zip

Largo 2.zip

Not sure I understand what you're after, so this may not apply, but the ceiling shouldn't be a necessity.  All you should need to do is set the truss to Sloping Flat Truss. 

So if you uncheck "flat ceiling" in the room, the roof will build the ceiling for you.

If you want a 20" truss & a 9' plate height I get this:

2117054435_CACeiling1.thumb.JPG.b515837ffbcabbdc222b71d84825467d.JPG

The CMU wall builds on top of the floor material. I can use the bird's mouth settings to lower the roof but it does not help the truss build correctly.

1885034142_CACeilingTruss.thumb.JPG.d0407bd1078e84a58c4c0cba7ac22147.JPG

Furthermore, the truss ignores the ceiling created by the roof, Maybe I missed another setting?

This is my manual roof & manual ceiling.

930874503_CAManual.thumb.JPG.605b249dcca30736bf5c0cb0317292a6.JPG

Attached is for the first two sections

The manual roof is the original plan I posted to start the thread.

Thanks

Largo 3.zip

On 4/3/2020 at 6:30 AM, ACADuser said:

So if you uncheck "flat ceiling" in the room, the roof will build the ceiling for you.

If you want a 20" truss & a 9' plate height I get this:

This is I think some of the is cos' you haven't actually built the Floor ...eg added a quick MonoSlab foundation to the building as The plate Height looks right to me.

Chief is not allowing for the Pitch though perse, so there is a Gap between the Ceiling and the CMU Wall  as the wall is just built to 109" , and being 8" thick it causes the Gap.  ( Chief doesn't build the Plate on top of the Wall Either )

How should the Truss Build?  see my pick are you talking about a "flat" over the CMU Walls?

*When Michael said Ceiling above he was referring to the Ceiling Plane you drew Manually I believe as you need a Ceiling (Plane) to generate a Truss but vault works fine.

image.thumb.png.93930cde986339a1abcd2a336435d7c6.png

Mick,

I was working with Nester's plan & did not realize that the lack of a foundation changed the way the wall was built. Thanks for that info.

So things improved once I added a foundation.

What do you mean by " but vault works fine. "

Thanks

Just now, ACADuser said:

What do you mean by " but vault works fine. "

You don't need to add a ceiling plane manually to a Vaulted Area , Chief will still build trusses using the Ceiling surface of the Roof plane.

Above I pulled your Ceiling Plane out of the building and it still built the truss above for example.

M.

Attached is a plan with foundation & still, the wall appears to be building from the top of the floor surface dimension.

Also, I don't know how to vault the room without a manual ceiling plane.

I added the plane & lowered by 3/16 to get to the 9' dimension.

Largo 4.zip

CA Vault ceiling.JPG

9 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Also, I don't know how to vault the room without a manual ceiling plane.

Just uncheck "Flat Ceiling" in the Room Structure DBX   ( right underneath Roof Over this Room ) 

The Roof Plane will automatically "Use the Room Ceiling Finish" ( See the Roof Plane Structure DBX)

M.

4 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Oh, yes I knew that. Too bad the truss tool doesn't know that. :)

Are you saying to do a double vault?  If that is the case then yes you would need to manually set ceiling planes.

57 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

No, a single vault. But Chief will not build a single truss for me.

Do you have a way to build it without a manual ceiling plane? Maybe I missed a setting?

In your plan you have your little jogged in room set as flat ceiling which is why it is dropping down there but everything else builds a straight flat truss with a single vault surface below.  Just uncheck the flat ceiling for that or if you want that flat ceiling but want to stick frame it set it as non first then place your trusses and after go back and set the ceiling after you have your trusses how you want it with a manual ceiling plane and frame the ceiling individually by that room.

is that what you are after?

btw I couldn’t get it to build at a true 108” either...  seems like that wall wants to add the floor finish level.  But it was interesting when I clicked floor above is hung on wall for that wall...

Thanks for that.

I was able to build a truss outside that little room area & lock the truss and copy into that area.

I deleted the 2nd floor & the attic walls built correctly but the back wall still wants to build starting at the floor finish as you noted.

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

No, a single vault. But Chief will not build a single truss for me.

Over which part ? maybe I am missing something too as you plan seems to work fine for me....

I assume you know chief doesn't build trusses automatically so I am not sure what you mean when you say "chief won't build a  single truss"

Trusses always build to the bottom of the roof sheathing and top of a ceiling finish in each area hence the drop ceiling truss in the Entry foyer.

The wall height is 109" IIFC from the plan i looked at correctly.....

M.