Importing SketchUp window model problem

El_Payaso

32 minutes ago, El_Payaso said:

Best to use frame dims (from the manufacturer) right?

Frame and sash for what I did, took a couple of minutes. RO  after the fact according to mfg specs, has no effect on the window size, only framing.

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2020 at 3:26 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Importing windows and creating windows has been a problem in the program a very long time... still wish I could make my custom Marvin Windows work correctly.

Hi Rene, love your videos.

I also wish I could quickly import my custom windows. I got them to display correctly in 3D but in 2D (plan view) they are represented outside of the wall.
Any solutions?

Thanks

Sketchup Windows.png

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, MartyBoyd said:

Hi Rene, love your videos.

I also wish I could quickly import my custom windows. I got them to display correctly in 3D but in 2D (plan view) they are represented outside of the wall.
Any solutions?

Thanks

Sketchup Windows.png

Is there a resolution to this issue?

On 3/28/2020 at 12:34 PM, El_Payaso said:

When I import a sketchup file I made from the manufacturer of a window it ends up outside the envelope of the wall. Any ideas on how to align this better with the wall?

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.32.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.29.51 AM.png

I believe your issue is with the Sketch up model you've imported.  I am going to guess that when you imported the object it was 'laying down' in the 3D view Dialog box in Chief.

image.thumb.png.fd8167121329c4cd0b44769c3ad5551a.png

I choose a Marvin window at random and imported it as is (without adjusting in Sketchup first) and as you can see from the window came in oriented incorrectly and Chief thinks the 'height' is only 5 29/32".  Even if I orient the window correctly it still thinks the window is only 5 29/32" high.

To fix this you have to open the 'opening' tab, and change the height of the box you see to the correct height of the window.  In my case it's 25 1/16"  Keep in mind - this window was imported w/ a frame (not ideal) so the height will also include the frame as well.  You may have to play around with the 'opening size' in order to get it correct.  I've actually noticed Chief will not keep the opening height correction you've made if you try to adjust it before the import is complete.  So you may want to finish importing - then adjust the opening in the model.

image.thumb.png.784cca5f33771ab4e42f53d50be8b0da.png

image.thumb.png.3aeab60884f34e0cd3102d3db510235a.png

image.thumb.png.387cd7b0e32b5afa8f3547305816c7ee.png

As you can see - although we've oriented the window correctly now and adjusted the opening it's hanging off the wall.  To correct this you have to open the symbol up and give it a "Y" origin offset:

image.thumb.png.7cf5c47564867d4dcf2ea7290fb7ad23.png

image.thumb.png.e4e6cdb4db83e669029ab1776db189c6.png

You probably noticed the window depth is wonky - I have not found a solution to this and attribute it to the original issue with the model.  The same is true for the window plan view offset.  Unfortunately I don't see any options on how to modify the 'block' like you can with other imported objects.

So... is there a better way?  Yes. There are two options.

If you don't have sketchup, You could import the window as a random fixture adjusting the windows orientation.  in this example I imported the window as a 'fixture or any other object really'

image.thumb.png.3ffbd48000e479b9cf7c464739fc7b5f.png

Once it's imported (no need to add to library) go to a 3D view to see the object.  Then go to 'file>export>export 3D' (doesn't matter which one)

Now - reimport the object you just exported and select Window.  The window will now import oriented correctly.  You'll need to adjust the 'Y' offset again, but the window will now have the correct sizing & opening size.  Again - keep in mind if the window has a casing, the size of opening will match the window's casing.

image.thumb.png.a9b5a04c52b9286593e6d8590fc4a5c2.png

Option 2:
My preferred method and probably the easiest.

Go ahead and import your object like we did in option 1, only this time select 'fixture exterior' or any object that allows you to 'hang on wall'.  Once imported open 'option's and select 'inserts into wall' and give it a depth.  You can adjust this later.

image.thumb.png.66c89a0b81ec71f1cbec2cf8292a5feb.png

Click OK and now the window can be placed on the wall.  It will have a cut out for the exterior but not the interior (unfortunately).  To fix this you'll need to add a wall 'pass thru' and shape it to the size of your window.

That being said It's clear this feature needs fixing by @ChiefArchitect so let's hope they have a fix for us in X16