Wall follow flaired stairs

parkwest

David, I think you're running into a situation similar to one I just ran into the other day. I had a short section of half wall at the bottom of a staircase set to 'follow stairs', but it wouldn't slope for me either. I submitted it to tech support and was told:

"As for the lower railing, it appears that in order for it to slope you need it to be two treads in length (closer to 2.5 treads in length)".

28 minutes ago, LevisL said:

David, I think you're running into a situation similar to one I just ran into the other day. I had a short section of half wall at the bottom of a staircase set to 'follow stairs', but it wouldn't slope for me either. I submitted it to tech support and was told:

"As for the lower railing, it appears that in order for it to slope you need it to be two treads in length (closer to 2.5 treads in length)".

Something isn't working then if Chief is saying it needs to be at least 2 treads in length because the half-wall I am working with is 5 treads.

I'll send it in to tech support and see what they say about this one...

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just like any other wall set to Follow Stairs, it has to be on top of the stairs, but yes, it works.

Not all walls...you can define a pony wall as a "railing"...and set it to "follow stairs".  see attached...

But, for the OP's question Michael is correct...but, I can't seem to get it to work.  

Chief...please start from scratch and make the stair tool so superior that we don't ever need to post another "issue with stairs"...

2020-03-27_17-38-01.thumb.png.9ad0b5394b2d9aef80d83784d4d81005.png2020-03-27_17-37-34.thumb.png.04ac3f6e43f7bd97dfd33c6b9d8aa598.png2020-03-27_17-45-27.thumb.png.8e0ea483e41ea24c882a112f5a242712.png

1 minute ago, SNestor said:

Not all walls...you can define a pony wall as a "railing"...and set it to "follow stairs".  see attached...

You are correct.  I was assuming it was just a standard railing....thus my "never mind".  Doesn't look like those pony walls work quite the same.  It would be a lot easier of people would just post plans. 

21 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Something isn't working then if Chief is saying it needs to be at least 2 treads in length because the half-wall I am working with is 5 treads.

I'll send it in to tech support and see what they say about this one...

Sorry, I looked at your renderings too quickly! It looked like the pony wall was only up to the second tread, but I see now that's because it's hidden behind since it's not sloping the way you want! 

Let us know what tech. support says.

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

I would appreciate it if you could post your setting for this wall.  Thank you.

It probably qualifies as a workaround, but it works... 
I just used the new X12 ability to do a custom stringer.   Set the width to match your wall thickness and I made it extra deep (30" below the tread) because it was the only way to make it look right on the curve.  Set it for whatever height above the tread you want, and of course you can do whatever you want with the railing.  

Flared stair wall.JPG

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

It probably qualifies as a workaround, but it works... 
I just used the new X12 ability to do a custom stringer.   Set the width to match your wall thickness and I made it extra deep (30" below the tread) because it was the only way to make it look right on the curve.  Set it for whatever height above the tread you want, and of course you can do whatever you want with the railing.  

Flared stair wall.JPG

Now that is a creative solution...excellent.  With Chief's stair tool...you gotta think outside the box...way outside.

• Like 1

For those who are interested, it looks like the flared stairs needs some more work from the programmers.

Here is what I was told:

- Support Answer -

Katherine Kory
Monday, Mar 30, 2020 - 06:44 AM PDT
Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support Services.

I took a look at your plan and it appears that it is the flared portion of the stairs that is causing those railings to not follow the stairs. I drew a set of straight stairs and the pony wall railing followed the stairs but as soon as I flared those stairs it stopped working. I understand this is not ideal for you, but you might do a set of straight stairs to get as much of the stairs railings to follow the stairs, then use polyline solids (as an example) to make the flared portion. The railing still wouldn't follow the stairs, but it'd get you closer than you currently are.

I will be passing this along to our development department to look at further for a future version of the software.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Katherine
Technical Support Analyst
Chief Architect

My workaround...Make your flared stairs. Use a second stair for the railing beside the flared stairs (You can change a straight stair to an arc). Draw a curved wall under the curved stair used for railing. This is my 30 second example. Another couple of minutes would really clean things up.

image.thumb.png.c528f0e9668b1d0f12356dfb97e195a8.png

image.thumb.png.24c635aeb4374dc50b5acc46c9d30c7e.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1