Reduce Plan Size

kintaro

I created a detailed plan with many 3d objects.
The size is 354Mb and every little thing I change creates an undo file of ~500mb. This really slows down my ability to work and eats up my drive.

How can I reduce the size? 

At least, how can I know what are the biggest things taking up the disk-space within my file? is there a simple way of doing so?

The thing is that I have a LOT of 3d objects in this plan. No idea where I got each of them and it will be hard to go one by one.

I was hoping for a way for each plan to sort its components by size or anything simple as that

52 minutes ago, kintaro said:

I created a detailed plan with many 3d objects.
The size is 354Mb and every little thing I change creates an undo file of ~500mb. This really slows down my ability to work and eats up my drive.

How can I reduce the size? 

At least, how can I know what are the biggest things taking up the disk-space within my file? is there a simple way of doing so?

I recently had a plan with a lot of symbols (furniture mostly), I saved two copies of the plan; one with all the furniture and one with none of it. Then worked in the plan without furniture and used reference display. I would update the first plan with changes from time to time. This works well for plan views, some improvement in standard rendering. Doesn't help elevations or other rendering technique (well glass house). I also saved PBR cameras in the plan without the symbols so I could use those in the complete plan since I needed quite a few renderings.

image.thumb.png.2ed497a6dad5693a0ef9ab4df12b43fe.png

Not sure, but if you're working room by room, possibly could benefit by creating a layer for these objects in each room, such as Decor_LivingRoom, Decor_DiningRoom etc... and turning off all but the room you're working in.

18 hours ago, kintaro said:

Where can I find info on referencing objects? 

Besides the suggestions above...

To get the objects on different plans, first save as (say structure) then new blank plan (symbols). The easiest to now move things is to use the all layers off set, then turn on the layer(s) with the objects; usually fixtures and furniture? CUT and paste, hold position to new plan "Symbols".

Go back to your structure plan and start setting up reference sets- To access the symbol plan as a reference (or any other plan) it MUST BE OPEN.

"I created a detailed plan with many 3d objects.  The size is 354Mb and every little thing I change creates an undo file of ~500mb. This really slows down my ability to work and eats up my drive.  How can I reduce the size?"

The file size is probably from all of the 3D objects you have placed.  Depending on the types of objects you are using and where you got them, this could have a huge affect on file size.  This is just a guess though because no one can really tell unless we have the actual plan to look at.

Just as an FYI, if you delete a bunch of 3D objects and then save the file, the file size may not shrink as much as you expect until you close/open it again and save it once again.  This is a side effect of the way the program only determines that the 3D data is not being used when the plan is read in and not when it is being written out.  You should see a huge drop in file size after the second write though.

Another thing you might want to explore is the Delete Objects dialog.  This allows you to quickly remove things from your plan to see what might be taking up lots of space.

You just asked about reducing the file size but I am guessing that the real problem is that you want to improve performance.  There are lots of ways to work that might improve your performance.  The suggestion of keeping a separate reference plan with all of the symbol data in it is only one idea.  You could also take any furniture or other symbol data and make architectural blocks out of them and then remove them from your working plan and put them back in later when you need them.  You could turn off the layers for these things which might speed up your camera views but probably won't affect the undo performance.  Turning off your undo or switching to an SSD drive could also have a big effect.   Each of these things has it's disadvantages and there is no silver bullet to solve all problems. 

Again these suggestions are all based on guesses.  If you want a more accurate answer, then you need to post a plan or contact tech support.

20 hours ago, kintaro said:

Where can I find info on referencing objects? 

this Video ( thanks Charles)  was made yesterday during a Workshop held by Forum Members , it starts with Reference Sets , but you may like to watch it all however....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25780-workshop-this-friday-at-300-pm-pst/?do=findComment&comment=207435