Radius end base cabinet with open shelves

LevisL

I'm trying to replicate an existing base cabinet in a reno project I'm working on, but I can't figure this one out! It's a 12" wide radius end with open shelves, as this picture shows.

916957706_IMG_4781copy.thumb.jpg.782abe3ae8bf28a39649f6dafcdfcc40.jpg

In Chief, I can only get a fully open radius end if I make the base cabinet 24" wide. Anything less than 24", the straight edge gets closed off. Any way to get rid of that? I tried making customizing the left side, but that didn't accomplish anything.

166487054_RadiusEndCabinet2422.thumb.png.8d97a2a69a2bf0a8151330652dba7b40.png1169379251_RadiusEndCabinet.thumb.png.f368a57826200f8a970c9ec7f93d4536.png

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Does it work to delete those surfaces, then convert to a symbol?

Unfortunately not. I can delete the surfaces and get the look I'm after in the camera view, but when I convert it to a symbol, some of the surfaces show up again...

1166599273_RadiusEndCabinet-SurfacesDeleted.thumb.png.e2417509bd75b5c8efb369d2f76eabe5.png1560790732_RadiusEndCabinet-Converttosymbol.thumb.png.3f5135a9cc9226f16014d8a0ce06de12.png

16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

And if you repeat that process on the new symbol? delete  surfaces, convert to symbol again.

Still no. Deleting surfaces again also deletes some wanted surfaces at the same time. They must join when converting to a symbol.

I think your problem is that you did not delete all of the surfaces you need to.  My guess is that you have surfaces facing the other way that don't show up in your normal view but do when you convert it into a symbol.

Copy the cabinet into a blank plan and look at it from all angles to find all the surfaces you need to delete.

11 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I think your problem is that you did not delete all of the surfaces you need to.  My guess is that you have surfaces facing the other way that don't show up in your normal view but do when you convert it into a symbol.

Copy the cabinet into a blank plan and look at it from all angles to find all the surfaces you need to delete.

I guess you were right. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

For that scenario you'll not only have to spin that around every which way but you'll also have to use the Alt key to limit which faces you're deleting.  Way more time consuming than it's worth.  In my opinion, just build from scratch. 

That's what I'm finding out. Solves one problem but creates others. I was hoping for a setting in the cabinet dbx that I was missing or something easy like that, but I guess I'll follow Eric's advice after all! Thanks everyone.

639791405_RadiusEndCabinet-Converttosymbol2.thumb.png.0a4392ca4ad03db17e1cfe62d49d76d6.png

I glanced at Mark's plan and something he had in there made me realize that it actually can be quite a bit quicker to use Delete Surface to create a symbol out of an actual cabinet for this particular scenario.  I only ran through it once so the process is a little messy, but you'll get the idea...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I glanced at Mark's plan and something he had in there made me realize that it actually can be quite a bit quicker to use Delete Surface to create a symbol out of an actual cabinet for this particular scenario.  I only ran through it once so the process is a little messy, but you'll get the idea...

Thanks Michael. Some good tips in there!