Dropped ceiling?

Designer1

A few versions of Chief ago... they enabled you to create a lowered ceiling in a closet or room and add a plant shelf or something on top without changing the rest of that floors ceiling height.  I have a shower thats underneath the stairs and have 10' ceilings on the entire first floor.  When I go try and reduce the ceiling in the shower just to prevent conflict with the stairs its changing the entire floors ceiling height.  Yes the shower is in its own contained room and so I thought it wouldnt affect the whole floors ceiling height. Does anyone know how to add the null space in one area without affecting the whole floor?

I havent had to use this newer feature in Chief yet and am having issues with this.

Thanks!

Chad

Mick, thanks so much for the referral that has a ton of information in it and Im going to read all of it...thank you!

Michael, yeah what was happening was the stairs was curving up and underneath the shower wall texture was poking through the wall.  So basically if you were walking up the stairs youd have painted dry wall then all of a sudden youd see granite from that below below.  Since I was unable to lower the ceiling at that time I just used the painter to paint the granite the wall color until I could learn how to do it properly.

I think Im going to brush up on some chief videos on dropped ceilings on that link that Mick referred me to and also look at some terrain tutorials as these seem to be my areas I need more knowledge in.

Thanks for the help and replies!

I have read this a few times and I think what he is looking for is just to have a lowered flat ceiling under the stairs for say a powder bath?  If I understand his need correctly I would think that a ceiling plane set to the right height to keep it flat would be best and would allow it to be framed too?

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

I have read this a few times and I think what he is looking for is just to have a lowered flat ceiling under the stairs for say a powder bath?

It is a little tricky to figure out with out the plan file but it may be a hybrid type situation.  Possibly the shower is built as a room within the bath room and needs to be lowered as I illustrated with the closet above.  Just a guess though.;)

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Heres some pictures of what I was dealing with. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks like it would be a short ceiling but I still think just putting in a flat ceiling plane would be the best for that particular case. 

Most likely the reason your change to that room would be affecting the others is that one of the walls has no definition (your room label is missing so makes me think that it is considering it part of the Dining room to the side or the Great room through the stairs).  Either way if you put in a flat ceiling to the elevation you want it not only will give you the look you are going for but will also allow you to frame it.

Thanks for the input everyone.  Yeah I checked the bath and shower and they were labeled bath but I took off the room labels as it got too crowded for them.

What I was hoping for was to utilize that new chief dropped ceiling feature where you can click on the room and just lower that space (ie the shower) and make it an easy flat ceiling fix given the regular ceilings were 10'.  When you guys are recommending dropped ceiling are you talking about adjusting it through the structure tab dbx?  If so when I tried that earlier adjusting the ceiling height it changed the entire floor.  Is there another way to do this effectively, clearly Im not doing it correctly.

Thanks!

I can't speak for the rest of the guys but I'm only gonna offer my thoughts and advice on this if you post the plan...even a stripped down version at least. Every little detail matters and in your scenario, there's a lot more than just a ceiling to contend. with.  You can build the ceiling with a Ceiling Plane but that won't solve your wall problem...in fact it can even make it worse. 

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

.........What I was hoping for was to utilize that new chief dropped ceiling feature where you can click on the room and just lower that space (ie the shower) and make it an easy flat ceiling fix given the regular ceilings were 10'. .........

Well.....  ain't you the clever one......  I think I get it.....  you want to use the TRAY CEILING TOOL........  with this tool you can either make a tray ceiling that goes up in the ceiling or is lower than the ceiling.  

What you want is this tool to create a dropped ceiling.....   and if you make the "tray" part small enough,  you have essentially dropped the entire ceiling down......  but you still need to define the room. which means you might as well use the thickened ceiling finish.

Nice thinking but I am not sure this is the best solution.

42408772_trayceiling.thumb.jpg.3e8e9bc4dee876249e02b767bc617849.jpg

Wow thanks so much Michael for the video!  That was very helpful and you gave so many options to make the space better. 

It was hard to upload the plan because it was so big so when I was deleting as much as I could to get under the size allowable things must have shifted around like the offset walls.  Yes that extra space for the shower that extended beyond the space of the stairs was stumping me too, I originally was going to draw the wall up but then thought maybe I could somehow build the wall but continue the shower space.  The whole design was a bit complex so Im happy thats not a very common thing I see.

I appreciate your video it gave me some ideas for using those tools you mentioned in a few other applications.  Im glad I listened to your suggestion of uploading the plan to learn something new.  Thanks so much!