Garage Slab integration

Designer1

Does anyone know how to get the slab in the garage to blend in a driveable manner with the driveway?  Normally I have to do all these crazy alterations just to make it look normal and theres got to be another way..  Usually if I run the driveway into the roadway street path it nicely carves out a curb and smooth transition but this isnt the case for driveways and garages.  Whats the secret to make this work properly?

Thanks in advance!

Garage Slab.jpg

Driveway to street.jpg

Use a terrain area modifier to raise the terrain in front of the garage what looks like about 6" for a few feet from the garage.  The driveway tool only follows the terrain, so if you need the driveway higher there, you have to raise the terrain there.  You could of course just raise the whole driveway 6", but that would not look right.

Hey Michael!

I tried that idea first but what ends up happening is theres a 6" space where the garage is floating. I tried group select edit area to just lower the garage but it didnt work.  I think since Im working work an older carry over plan things are working as they should.  Thats why Im just trying to hurry and complete these to get on with newer chief plans their easier to work with.

Thanks for the reply!

I think since its an older plan and glitchy when I tried that it didnt work.  So when I took the picture I just raised the terrain up just for the one rendering then returned it to the way it was.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

18 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Use a terrain area modifier to raise the terrain in front of the garage what looks like about 6" for a few feet from the garage.

7 hours ago, dshall said:

Yep,  model it like it is built.

I think this advice doesn't apply when the rest of the terrain is modeled completely flat.  A terrain modifier is going to produce nothing but an awkward and inaccurate lump in front of the garage.  If a person wants to model accurately (which I agree is typically the best practice), then they need to model the whole terrain accurately.  If they just want quick visuals though it makes a lot more sense to just drop the garage down. 

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

think since its an older plan and glitchy when I tried that it didnt work.  So when I took the picture I just raised the terrain up just for the one rendering then returned it to the way it was.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I think you're missing out on the opportunity to actually learn something here.  Chances you're having problems because it's an "older", "glitchy" plan are between slim and none.  I think you're just doing something wrong.  Post the plan (even a stripped down version and you'll likely learn something new so that next time you run into this you'll be able to do it right. In fact, the same thing that's stopping you from effectively moving the garage floor is likely to cause you problems in other areas anyway.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

......  If they just want quick visuals though it makes a lot more sense to just drop the garage down. 

I disagree with this advice,  any section thru garage would be incorrect...

• Upvote 1

Just now, dshall said:

I disagree with this advice,  any section thru garage would be incorrect...

You think a lump in front of the garage would be more correct good sir?  I don't see for a second how either of those solutions provide for an "accurate" section.

To be clear here, there is a huge difference between taking the time to properly model the whole terrain (an accurate model) and cheating for quick visuals (terrain modifier or dropping the garage floor height).  Its either quick and easy or accurate and I don't see that accurate was ever being discussed for this one.  If accurate is the goal then we would need to be discussing a lot more than adding a terrain modifier.  We would need to be discussing elevation regions, elevation lines, elevation points, etc.  

Well,  he could drop the garage floor down lower than the concrete stem wall........ and if there is no stem wall he should raise the terrain like you suggested....   

has anybody else noticed that the terrain in this vastest version does not work as well....  I have been getting some very unpredictable results.....  I have go to put together a workshop.....  how bout Friday at 3:00 pm pst?

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 12.13.37 PM.png

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You think a lump in front of the garage would be more correct good sir?  I don't see for a second how either of those solutions provide for an "accurate" section.

Let's just say said garage was built on a very level lot, and the garage slab was 6"-8" above grade (4" conc. plus gravel base) ... pretty sure the solution would be to build a ramp of earth/gravel/concrete up to the garage floor level.  

3 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Let's just say said garage was built on a very level lot, and the garage slab was 6"-8" above grade (4" conc. plus gravel base) ... pretty sure the solution would be to build a ramp of earth/gravel/concrete up to the garage floor level.  

Agreed.  A Terrain Modifier won't do that though.  What's needed is some accurate Terrain Elevation Data, and as such, you would need to do work with more than just the few feet in front of the garage. 

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Agreed.  A Terrain Modifier won't do that though.  What's needed is some accurate Terrain Elevation Data, and as such, you would need to do work with more than just the few feet in front of the garage. 

I have always used a ELEVATION REGION before,  but for some reason some funny stuff is going on unless I am missing something....

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, solver said:

Common practice where I am is a concrete apron.

ct1.thumb.png.a0666bd9f24994e562654336850c26c1.png

That's a good solution.  It should be noted that a person should still know how to appropriately control the floor elevations.  No one wants an 8" thick apron to trip over. 

20 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

True, it's not a great solution due to the abruptness of the elevation change, but for speed and a few inches of change I thought it would be acceptable.  For a few more seconds I think this solution is more acceptable. 

Terrain.JPG