Hiding Room Divider Lines On Layout Drawing

Dezigner99

I'm a kitchen and bath designer and when doing vanities - I often do not want to draw the entire room - just the ones where the vanity goes.  But to use the NKBA Dimension tool i have to create an enclosed room - so I use room dividers to complete the box.  How can I hide those on my layout plan drawings and just show the walls I want to show?  

Sorry - I'm a newbie.  I just recently switched from 2020 to Chief Architect because I became frustrated with 2020's lack of ability to create a quality presentation and production quality drawing.   

I'm using Chief Architect Interiors X11 on a PC Laptop with Windows 10.    

When you select an object, the layer that it is on will appear in the status bar.

If you select the Object Layer Properties tool that appears on the Edit toolbar or in the right-click context menu, you can open a dialog that will show you the layer properties for all of the layers associated with the selected object(s).  From there, you can modify the display properties or even turn off the layer.

There is a lot more information about layers and layer sets in the training videos.  I highly recommend you search for videos related to them and review them.  It should help you to become more efficient when working with Chief.  These might be a good starting point:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/4/understanding-layers.html?playlist=100

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5483/understanding-layer-sets.html?playlist=100

47 minutes ago, Dermot said:

If you select the Object Layer Properties tool that appears on the Edit toolbar or in the right-click context menu, you can open a dialog that will show you the layer properties for all of the layers associated with the selected object(s). 

Thanks for the reminder about the Object Layer Properties tool - it's a gem that I don't use often enough. I've now assigned it a hotkey.

1 hour ago, Dezigner99 said:

I'm a kitchen and bath designer and when doing vanities - I often do not want to draw the entire room - just the ones where the vanity goes.  But to use the NKBA Dimension tool i have to create an enclosed room - so I use room dividers to complete the box.  How can I hide those on my layout plan drawings and just show the walls I want to show?  

Just FYI another way to accomplish what you want to do is actually create rooms and even floors to help with rendering and elevation views with shadows etc.  I often times will do two different bathrooms on separate floors for the ease of switching back and forth and for layouts.  When you send your plan file camera view to a layout you can then use the layout box to crop out the walls you don’t want to see.

The Object Layer Properties tool is probably used less often now that we have the Active Layer Display Options (ALDO) dialog.  The ALDO is basically a combination of the Layer Display Options dialog and the Object Layer Properties dialog that you can keep docked on your screen while you work.  When you have an object selected, it will only show you the relevant layers and when nothing is selected, it will show you all layers. 

Unfortunately, Interiors X11 does not have the ALDO but the newer Interiors X12 does.  If you are using Interiors X11 and your SSA is still active, you can get Interiors X12 now.