Cad Detail In Layout

payettedesigns

You can use it, for example, to create really powerful cad details of construction details that would not normally be generated by auto framing.  Things like flashing around a rain screen layer, or an insulation baffle near the eave of a roof section, or flashing at the bottom course of a brick veneer wall.  The list is endless.  Unlike blocks, cad details can be edited without unblocking.

• Upvote 1

David,

Using CAD details in layout is a great place to store your office standard details in your layout template (like legends, specifications, nailing standard details, etc.), and you never have to worry about CAD details that live in other files being missed, changed, or moved, since the Layout will stay with that one particular project.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess what  I was getting tripped up on in the past is when you go to Cad Detail Management and create a new Cad Detail the detail page it comes up zoomed out and you have to zoom in and add your details. I did that today and added a bunch of Cad Details to my Layout Template. This is one of the things that I have been to busy over the years to take a moment and figure it out. Thanks for the help guys. Also when you grab a detail from the Library it comes massively over sized for the details page and you have to shrink it. Is there any preferences or default fixes. I am going to look and see but if you know a better  way let me know. You guys are a tremendous  blessing.

David

You need to set the scale in the CAD Detail window by going to Drawing Sheet Setup, and setting the correct scale there. Each CAD Detail window can have its own scale. Then you send it to layout at the correct scale, which should be automatic at this point. If you have drawn everything at real world scale (1"=1"), the detail should be the correct size on layout without any rescaling.

I am not sure I explained myself correctly. I create CAD Details in Plan View everyday and send them to layout to whatever scale I want . This is seamless. I am talking about while I am in Layout View I open up Cad Detail Management and create a detail in Layout View. It opens up a Detail Sheet that has to be zoomed in and when you send a Library Item say a Chief Detail it goes to the sheet at 1:1 and has to be shrunk to fit on that detail sheet: when I send that to Layout it has to be scaled. If I am in in the Detail Sheet View and I go too Print " Drawing Sheet Set Up it just shows the Arch 24x36 sheet size. I do not see a way to scale the detail Sheet only the actual detail Would you be up for doing a screen share. We use Zoom Video Conferencing. I can create a layout with all these details by working through Plan View and sending details to layout but like you said some times. files get mixed. I wan a Layout with all the details Embedded and I can just delete the ones not specific to the current project I am working on. I hope I am making sense. 

David

David,

When you create open the Detail Management and create a new detail, you will get a window as shown below. When you go to Drawing Sheet Setup, you can set the detail's scale, and the sheet size will adjust accordingly. When you save, the specific scale you've set will stay with the detail. When you send this detail to layout, it will appear at the correctly scaled size.

Detail in Layout.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:38 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

I create all my CAD Details in separate Plan Details Files.  Then send I send them to Layout & save the Layout as a Template with all the Details and Boiler Plate.  You can easily delete anything that's not appropriate for the particular project.

Yep this is what I normally do as well. I was going off into uncharted territory which did not make any sense..