Exterior 360 fly over?

Designer1

Does anyone know what the best tool to use for 360 exterior fly around/over is?  I know if you use the line tool for the interior you can get the camera to go room to room using the camera record tool.  What Im looking for is a 360 rotate around the exterior of the house and maybe different heights like maybe the camera starts at the first floor and by the time it circles back around to the starting point it might be up closer to the third floor for a complete view?

I tried recording just using my mouse but it was choppy and nothing id use to showcase my design work.  Any ideas for best results?

Thanks in advance!

Draw a CAD circle around your house and convert it to a walkthrough path. Set the camera angle to ‘Relative to path’ and 270º. This will make the camera face towards the center of the circle. Play around with the height to get it to your liking and you’ll be good to go. I do these 360 videos all the time. I keep the height consistent all the way around though. I can post an example and my settings when I’m at my computer later if you want.

• Upvote 1

Use a 3d mouse and just do a screen cap record.

Been using a 3d connection mouse since they first came out and could never go back!

Not only that, your 3d editing capabilities expand greatly.   Selecting objects in 3d is super easy and you can hold **** and move model and select additional thing.  EG editing multiple windows on diff elevations at same time.  Or using material painter improves GREATLY.

3d mouse in left and main mouse in right!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Been using a 3d connection mouse since they first came out and could never go back!

Same here, its a game changer.  

One additional benefit for me is when modal dialogs are open the 3D mouse can still be used to move and zoom the previously active 2D or 3D view.  It may be my less efficient work flow (part time user is my excuse!) but I've had a lot of occasions when in a dialog box that I've wanted to go back and check something on the plan or view that's out of sight or too small.   Now I can still use the 3D mouse without exiting the dialog.

5 hours ago, LevisL said:

Draw a CAD circle around your house and convert it to a walkthrough path. Set the camera angle to ‘Relative to path’ and 270º. This will make the camera face towards the center of the circle. Play around with the height to get it to your liking and you’ll be good to go. I do these 360 videos all the time. I keep the height consistent all the way around though. I can post an example and my settings when I’m at my computer later if you want.

I do the same thing. I'm going to try a screen recording of the ctrl-alt-s and see how that turns out. Should be quicker.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:
1 hour ago, glennw said:

Don't forget that you can also spin a 3D view with Ctrl+Alt+S.

Whatever! That's pretty cool! Is there a speed setting for that?

Yes adjust your "Incremental Rotate Angle" for the camera you are using.  ie. 1° is slow,  20° is fast.

You can also initiate a spin by giving a push with your mouse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:
1 hour ago, glennw said:

Whatever! That's pretty cool! Is there a speed setting for that?

It does spin a bit too quick.  Neat to know the shortcut though.  I've been using the fling it with a well timed mouse release to spin...and while I can get it to go a lot slower, it's hard to do.  If a speed control is found, please post it.

WOW!  I was just asking about 360 video and now Im wanting to look into the 3d mouse!  I never spent anytime looking into it because I thought it was maybe a gimmick but after seeing your video Justin (thank you by the way!) its amazing!  Ive heard there are several out there so does anyone know which ones are best for Chief?  I can clearly see that using the 3d mouse is even better then the traditional methods in chief, its so smooth and fluid.  Thats the next must buy on my list!  So quick question... if you have your 3d mouse plugged in do you have to unplug it when your not in chief or does it work for other tasks on your computer?

When I saw the many applications in the video of how you can use the painter and go around the house to make alterations this was a huge selling point.  I think because if your painting and you have a traditional mouse sometimes you have to reclick the texture and move the mouse because of movement limitations within the screen.

Thanks so much for all the information. I will use everyones advice on how to use the current tools with my mouse and then definitely buy a 3d mouse next.  I would really love to hear your opinions on which 3d mouse is best for chief.

Thanks again!

21 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Does anyone know what the best tool to use for 360 exterior fly around/over is?  I know if you use the line tool for the interior you can get the camera to go room to room using the camera record tool.  What Im looking for is a 360 rotate around the exterior of the house and maybe different heights like maybe the camera starts at the first floor and by the time it circles back around to the starting point it might be up closer to the third floor for a complete view?

Here is a simple walkthrough path that accomplishes what you are attempting to do.

Image2.png

On 3/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, LevisL said:

Thank you for this.

6 hours ago, payettedesigns said:

Thank you for this.

No problem! Glad to help. I have to say though... I might switch to Glenn's method! No need to sit around and wait for the walkthrough to record.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:36 PM, glennw said:

And this is impressive! Might have to look into this as well

On 3/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, VisualDandD said:

Quick screen cap showing the advantages (some) of the 3d mouse.

Yes the 3d mouse looks like its the way to go.  I tried doing the polyline track recording set at 270 degrees but it missed the mark completely.  So clearly since its my first time using that its my not knowing the tool yet and will take some time to understand it better and obviously get some better results.

I really like all the examples, shows so many varieties of tools we can use!

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yes the 3d mouse looks like its the way to go.  I tried doing the polyline track recording set at 270 degrees but it missed the mark completely.  So clearly since its my first time using that its my not knowing the tool yet and will take some time to understand it better and obviously get some better results.

I really like all the examples, shows so many varieties of tools we can use!

Here's one I did last week for a reno/addition project, along with the settings I used.

I brought the resolution down a bit for this one to be able to upload it on here, but I typically use 1920x1080 and email my clients a Dropbox link, since the file gets quite large.

2052173867_360WalkthoughSettings1.thumb.png.66dfd17bbf2401ca9c2c0bcc0e03057b.png995494864_360WalkthoughSettings2.thumb.png.803951431d749b59507c52332e505a18.png

I found 30 seconds to be a good clip length at 15fps. It's a good balance between decent file size and not too choppy... plus the longer the clip and more fps, the longer it takes to record.

For the average size of houses I do around here, I also found that the best circle radius for me is somewhere around 70 to 80ft. Obviously if you do larger houses or commercial buildings, that will need to be larger.

• 2 years later...
On 3/22/2020 at 8:59 AM, VisualDandD said:

Quick screen cap showing the advantages (some) of the 3d mouse.

Hi Justin super impressed, which 3d connexion mouse controller would you recommend.

thanks in advance

Garreth