Can't Remove Base Material

gpenelton

I have a door that has a base material that has been painted.  I have tried to remove this base material and just have the paint color as the material but I cannot get rid of it.  When I have the appearance as Physically Based the door appears Grey due to the concrete base material.  How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Geez that's a nice door! Where'd you get it?

Just a side note on this, but we've actually created this type of look by just purchasing a plain old solid core smooth panel blank and routering the grooves with a standard V-groove router bit. 

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.784f3342e323b81c8404c604438cf663.JPG

I was SUPER happy with the end results after staining and sealing too.  It was either that or order the door to be imported from Europe for like $800 plus shipping.  I originally had my doubts about how the laminated veneer would handle it, but it worked without hitch.

Looks great Michael. Plus then you get the option of using the wood door. I think Masonite only makes those in MDF.

I did something similar when I built my garage cabinets.  I used birch plywood for the doors and a triple row of v-grooves near the top to sort of give a 'vented locker door' type of look.

My comment about the 'Berkley' door above was because I made that symbol (or the same thing). Of course its possible someone else did the same thing. Its a Masonite product. I made all of the Masonite modern door symbols awhile back. They may have some new products by now.

20 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Geez that's a nice door! Where'd you get it?

Just click the highlighted material, and replace it. Or adjust the material and delete the texture file.

image.thumb.png.0c4e20beebaef9ac8b51042680a697a6.png

Thanks for the reply Robert.  The only thing I can change is the material .  The description of Concrete - PAINTED: Color Bone remains.  All of the stock doors have the same description in both fields.

BTW, I made the door symbol myself.

5 minutes ago, gpenelton said:

Thanks for the reply Robert.  The only thing I can change is the material .  The description of Concrete - PAINTED: Color Bone remains.  All of the stock doors have the same description in both fields.

BTW, I made the door symbol myself.

Ahh, that you change in the library. Right click on the object, then Open Symbol

As Eric pointed out, you should familiarize yourself with the tools you're using.  When you paint an object using the material painter, you have several optionsThis is from the Help files (which all users should be using regulary)...

Material Painter Component Mode  is unique to the Material Painter Tools. It is the default mode and applies the selected material to a single component on the target object. For most object types, using this tool is the same as opening an object’s specification dialog and changing the material of one of its components on the Materials panel. See Materials Panel.

Material Painter Object Mode  replaces all instances of a material on the target object.

Material Painter Room Mode  replaces all instances of a material in the current room.

Material Painter Floor Mode  replaces all instances of a material on the current floor.

Material Painter Plan Mode  replaces all instances of a material in the entire plan.

In addition, there's that little paint roller icon or the Blend Colors With Materials tool.  If you have that toggled on, what it essentially does is leaves the Texture (image file) being used for that particular material in place but blends your desired color with the image.  It should probably be noted that this is essentially the same thing as checking Blend With Texture on the Texture tab in the Define Material dialog. 

Anyway, if you paint a solid color onto an object while Blend Colors With Materials is checked (toggled on), it simultaneously create a brand new material with that "...PAINTED..." nomenclature. If you want to change it from that, you can either:

• Adjust the material definition for that color you created by using the Adjust Material Definition tool
  • Adjust the material definition for that color you created by going into Plan Materials (Shift+C)
  • Simply change the material being used for the desired component through the Materials tab
  • Simply paint the object(s) the desired color again...this time with Blend Colors With Materials unchecked (toggled off)

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2020 at 2:44 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Just a side note on this, but we've actually created this type of look by just purchasing a plain old solid core smooth panel blank and routering the grooves with a standard V-groove router bit. 

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.784f3342e323b81c8404c604438cf663.JPG

I was SUPER happy with the end results after staining and sealing too.  It was either that or order the door to be imported from Europe for like $800 plus shipping.  I originally had my doubts about how the laminated veneer would handle it, but it worked without hitch.

We did the same exact thing.  They looked great. Untill now I though I was the only one to ever do that.