Stairs

decorators3

Location of project? Lots of code considerations. That may not be as simple as choosing between option a and option b.

Also an expensive upgrade. Check your clients pockets before you start planning such 'features'.

Don’t know the property specifics but is there a reason why you couldn’t just echo the stairs that are going up to the stairs going down?  Stacking twin stair sets is very common with U shaped stairs.

if they want just exterior stairs you probably need to post some property pictures or a terrain plan so you can get the best recommendations possible.

So I can only speak about my experience with external stairs to the grade from the basement.

1) The walls to each side of the stars are retaining walls and may need to be designed by a structural engineer

2) The path from the top of the stairs to the front of the property may be constrained by zoning to ensure a suitable path exists if this is for an apartment.  Most municipalities in my area require 4' of unobstructed path to the lot line on one side of the dwelling.

3) Set back rules have to be considered to see if this can be done in the desired location.

4) Some means of draining water from the lower landing will have to be designed.  In my area, you need a sump pump that discharges the wastewater somewhere on the property, like a dry well.  We are not allowed to connect it to the sanitary system or storm drain system.

5) The garage exit will remove a parking space. Make sure that this will not contravene any bylaws.

6) The exit path through the garage may not be allowed if the authorities see this as a safety hazard.

7) Depending on frost penetration of the soil either underpinning of the footings near the walkout will be required, or rigid insulation to protect the footings near the walkout will have to be designed and installed.  

While this is a costly way to provide access, it is sometimes well worth the effort.  Again I can only report the experience of my projects, but this type of access is going to cost in the 15k to 30k range.  

• Like 1

Thanks

In my original floor plan there are stairs going to the basement with access from the garage side  The client wants to extend  the pantry form 5 ' to exterior wall.. so am looking to see where to move the exterior staircase to access basement .. either thru the garage or outside 

I appreciate your responses

Levina

for CA.pdf

52 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

@Doug_N I'm glad I work where I do then...none of those items would apply to the great state of Indiana!

I'm right there with you Joey!  Indiana is still free from an over-burdensome building code.  Let's hope it stays that way...

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

@Doug_N I'm glad I work where I do then...none of those items would apply to the great state of Indiana!

19 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I'm right there with you Joey!  Indiana is still free from an over-burdensome building code.  Let's hope it stays that way...

You know there are advantages to having a robust building code and code enforcement.  For example, prior to 2012 a building owner could walk into a building department with some vague sketches and get a permit.  Now all drawings have to be technically correct, to scale and contain references to code compliance.  To do work for others a designer must be qualified and pass a legal exam, and a technical building code exam.  The building departments recommend homeowners seek out someone like me to do the work.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

You know there are advantages to having a robust building code and code enforcement.  For example, prior to 2012 a building owner could walk into a building department with some vague sketches and get a permit.  Now all drawings have to be technically correct, to scale and contain references to code compliance.  To do work for others a designer must be qualified and pass a legal exam, and a technical building code exam.  The building departments recommend homeowners seek out someone like me to do the work.  

Yea...but, when it comes to government regulation...to me that's a sales pitch.  I've heard that song/dance for way to long...and now I've reached a point where I'm not eager to trade my Liberty for something as vague as "the possibility of more work".  

I believe less regulation always leads too much more construction....thus, more work for everyone.  Now...don't get me wrong, the Building Code has it's place...I'm not advocating to abolish it altogether.  Just a slowing of the growth of the code would make me happy.  Unfortunately, it appears the Building Code is like a weed that never stops and to many has stretched beyond way beyond its original intention.  Just my two cents.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, SNestor said:

the Building Code has it's place...

Yes it does. I didn't mean to make it sound like we are building from napkin sketches, even the smaller jurisdiction I work in will ask for plans. The difference is, they don't get kick back for revision upon revision because one examiner interprets a code different than another. I can go from printer, to building office, to job site in less than 5 business days. That makes everyone happy!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Yes it does. I didn't mean to make it sound like we are building from napkin sketches, even the smaller jurisdiction I work in will ask for plans. The difference is, they don't get kick back for revision upon revision because one examiner interprets a code different than another. I can go from printer, to building office, to job site in less than 5 business days. That makes everyone happy!

Canadian city planning departments... It's even worse in a slow market. Do you think they lay anyone off because there's little to do? Nope...make more rules instead. Everyone wins!

Image result for crying cartoon