MichaelJerome

I am having trouble with this project when I connect the wall of the utility room to the exterior wall. When I do that the ceiling height changes and the end wall removes the drywall exposing posts and siding. It is not like I am going to display this for the client but I want to understand why it is not keeping the shelf ceiling when that wall is connected. You will see it near the refrigerator in the apartment. I created the ceiling framing, editing the automatic ceiling height to match and tried to give the walls "stop at ceiling above" with all of the lights and wall moving to the 14' ceiling instead of the 9' ceiling I built.

Let me know what I am missing.

Thanks,

Garner Shop 3.18.20.zip

I don't believe Shelf Ceilings were designed to be used on multiple adjacent rooms.  Only for rooms within other rooms.  I think you'll have to use another method for that one.  Here are the first couple that come to mind...

• Just set that one wall to No Room Definition
  • Build an extra floor to create that upper space with

The bathroom does not have the same issue with the wall connected as does the utility room. Also, now that I look at a back clip cross section the image has wall framing all the way up to the 14' ceiling. I want a mezzanine on top of the apartment that is open and usable for storage, thus the use of the 9.5" ceiling framing that is designated.

I presume that no one else has any suggestions on this issue? I don't have it resolved and would like to know if someone can look at the file and see if I am missing something in my steps to accomplish the reduced ceiling inside of the shop to allow for the mezzanine level for storage. I would appreciate the input.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, MichaelJerome said:

Thanks - I had to rebuild all the walls manually to the correct height but not change the wall to no room definitions then I built the second floor above that room only and changed the ceiling height as well as a few other tasks. 

Sounds like you got it all figured out...but, I made a video.  Maybe it'll help you or someone else.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

WOW - much quicker route than what I did with much better results. I did get there but I really wish I would have seen this last night or this morning. At least I know what the correct way is for any other time. Thank you soooo much Steve!!

Michael

1 minute ago, MichaelJerome said:

WOW - much quicker route than what I did with much better results. I did get there but I really wish I would have seen this last night or this morning. At least I know what the correct way is for any other time. Thank you soooo much Steve!!

Michael

Glad it was helpful...

Just FYI...I probably learned this from some expert here on the Forum. Some really smart people on this Forum...genius level smart. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SNestor said:

Sounds like you got it all figured out...but, I made a video.  Maybe it'll help you or someone else.  

I got to hand it to you Steve,  you do a great video less9n.  Good stuff!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MichaelJerome said:

Michael

I you are having Issues with anything, don't forget to also check the CA KnowledgeBase   (KB) too . for FAQ's / tutorials  ( with downloadable PDFS )

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00078/creating-an-open-below-room.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03012/creating-a-storage-loft-in-a-larger-room.html

17 hours ago, dshall said:

I got to hand it to you Steve,  you do a great video less9n.  Good stuff!

Thanks Scott...that's a big pat on the back coming from you.  Tell us again how many Chief Videos have you made?

On 3/21/2020 at 12:02 PM, SNestor said:

Thanks Scott...that's a big pat on the back coming from you.  Tell us again how many Chief Videos have you made?

Steve,  too many to count,  but none as good as yours......  yours are to the point...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dshall said:

yours are to the point...

Scott, yours were good too. May have taken a winding path to get to the end result, but most of the time good for generating a smile, or even a laugh. Thank you for years of entertainment; always a good break from a hectic day.

What I enjoyed with Scott's videos was the fact there were laughs and , I actually like seeing the path to getting to the final solution  including the frustrating parts so I don't make that mistake. I know he did thousands of them. I enjoyed my Saturday morning funny's . Scott and I did a couple of Chief training sessions in San Diego in  2005, great guy in person also. A few years ago we also attended the Simi- annual user meetings--Great times for sure.

14 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

What I enjoyed with Scott's videos was the fact there were laughs and , I actually like seeing the path to getting to the final solution  including the frustrating parts so I don't make that mistake. I know he did thousands of them. I enjoyed my Saturday morning funny's . Scott and I did a couple of Chief training sessions in San Diego in  2005, great guy in person also. A few years ago we also attended the Simi- annual user meetings--Great times for sure.

I'm right there with you Perry...Scott's videos were fantastic...always a laugh and he is a great guy.  His videos were one of the main reasons I purchased the software.

Bought me lunch in SD a few years ago and I owe him!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Steve, your videos are top notch also, enjoy every one of those, As long as I have been around, you would think I know everything, but no!!!!!, I'm always learning every day and it doesn't ever stop.

Thanks so much.  :D

I’m with you on the learning.  Chief is a very robust piece of software and you probably will never become expert on every part of it.