Another Stair Puzzle

robdyck

12 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Railing is completely different than just stairs despite the fact that they can be defined within stairs. A handrail-to-post connection is based on a lot more than just how the stairs are mounted. Like, the thickness of the post, for example of which there are hundreds of styles. Or a rail-to-rail connection which also can vary greatly (in real, not in Chief).

And then there's the configuration of how the stair connects to the upper floor. I could go on for days here. My original post only applies to situations where it applies. Not to situations where it doesn't.

For certain projects, I go just a wee bit further than what Chief's dbx tools will allow so we're probably not talking about the same things.

Maybe not, but I certainly see your point and what you are trying to achieve.  Have you posted this in the suggestions section?   The stair tool has seen some great enhancements this revision, and how to treat the top of the stair connection, riser offset etc would be great enhancements.

3 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Maybe not, but I certainly see your point and what you are trying to achieve.  Have you posted this in the suggestions section?   The stair tool has seen some great enhancements this revision, and how to treat the top of the stair connection, riser offset etc would be great enhancements.

Chief will never get there. My original post was to solve that one problem and that one problem only. It wasn't intended as some sort of magic setting that fixes all the stair / railing problems. I was prioritizing based on the configuration of the stairs, the style of railing and the type of drawing provided. Obviously Chief can't build that type of railing in the stair dbx anyhow... 

stairs.jpg

Robert,

I agree with you 100% and was not attacking your solution. I am sorry if it seemed that way.  Perhaps I should be more careful in what I am saying when I point out a weakness in the modelling capability of CA.    I understand what you were saying and the problem that you were addressing.  

I guess what I am saying is that for every good deed there is a complimentary punishment.