Perspective Overview Camera

sandimc1n

I am having a problem in X12 with my overview camera,.  This is a new install and everything worked great in X11???  My image is pix-elated and I am not sure if its the program video or my video card.  I have a Radeon Pro 7100 and 32 GB Ram so I should be ok.. However I cannot seem to find the problem.  I manipulated all the options in Preferences : Renders settings and that did not fix, I played around with options in my card preferences as well, but too many to understand what they all mean. I have uploaded an image of my view and its not good.. Hope someone out there recognizes this and can help me out..     It seems to be affecting the white trim but also when I look at my material options they are also not solid? 1329477134_2020-03-141-56-23PM.thumb.jpg.4cfeab48c463cfeff987316e604c1120.jpg

2020-03-18 2-19-54 PM.jpg

Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz 
32.0GB Dual-Channel @1196MHZ
Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics  with 
8GB of GDDR5 memory
1TB TOSHIBA Samsung SSD 
1TB Seagate 

Thanks Chopsaw, I tried the material update and I am still having the issue.. All the colors seem to be affected by this video issue?? The strange thing is that it was working fine in CHief X11 this is my 1st run with it and I imported the X11 dwg to the X12 and this is what I am dealing with now.. 

2020-03-18 7-24-40 PM.jpg

2020-03-18 7-25-46 PM.jpg

Ok that is a little different again and even the background wall is involved now. Some sort of a transparency or layering issue it seems.

Do you still have X11 loaded to see if there is an issue there ?

It looks a bit different in X11 as though there is no material applied for the areas that should be "Brite".

It seems you are coming from an AutoCad background where the drawing files are called .dwg ?    .dwg files behave in a completely different way in Chief.

Drawing files native to Chief are referred to as .plan files.

Could you possibly post the X11 .plan file so one of us could take a look to see if this is a problem with the file or your hardware setup.

Or try a fresh test plan in X12 and see if you have the same issues.

At first glance everything looks ok in X11 as well as X12 for my setup.  There are a bunch of custom materials missing but the Bright White is really the one in question.

It must be a video card or video card driver issue as I messed with my preference settings and could not get the display to look like yours.

Possibly someone with the same card as you could recommend a driver that is good or try the latest and if that does not work roll back a few versions.

image.thumb.png.e878a65f5e965e439cde7481f961d386.png

Plan looks fine here in X11 or X12   , so I'd suspect the AMD Radeon either has a Hardware Issue or a Driver Issue , since even now an old X11 plan looks bad for you.

Out of interest try turning off Shadows in the camera Views and see if it has any effect. 

There was a bad Windows update last week that got me too but they have since fixed it and it installs correctly , been a couple of years since I had a bad WU though.

If you need a new Video Card , consider going Nvidia which is what Chief recommends , any gaming card is fine , Chopsaw and I still both use older 1070 GTX's which work fine. ( no need to spend money on a Quadro unless you need it for other Software.

Mick.

Update.. I contacted Radeon and they suggested I remove the card.. which I did and I then installed my old Nvidia 1070 and I am having the same problem, so It is not the video card. I also started on a new plan and that one is having the same issue.. I'm stuck and this issue is very annoying.  It is Interesting that when I render it, the image is just fine and does not show any pixelating.. I think my next option is to reinstall chief and see if that fixes the issue.  I will update if that fixes it. 

Untitled 2.jpg

6 hours ago, sandimc1n said:

Update.. I contacted Radeon and they suggested I remove the card.. which I did and I then installed my old Nvidia 1070 and I am having the same problem, so It is not the video card. I also started on a new plan and that one is having the same issue.. I'm stuck and this issue is very annoying.  It is Interesting that when I render it, the image is just fine and does not show any pixelating.. I think my next option is to reinstall chief and see if that fixes the issue.  I will update if that fixes it. 

Untitled 2.jpg

I'm confused ...cos , that image I assume is from the 1070 ( what I have too ) and it looks fine to me ?  ....so what is the annoying issue as I see no pixelating now?

perhaps time to return the Radeon under warranty ?  it may have bad memory or something....

M.

Hi Mick 

That image above is a rendered image and the pixilating is only visible in "overview camera views" and also on some of the material swatches see previous images.  The pixilating does not show up when I render it. ? The rendering above was done with the nvidea 1070 card but that card flickers so I replaced it with the Radeon.  Here is a sample of the materials with when rotated you will see these.  It will look solid and ok until you rotate it and the other 2 images show what I see when I rotate the square.  that is the same thing with the overview.. its solid till I rotate it.  It does this with both cards! 

2020-03-14 1-56-23 PM.jpg

2020-03-21 3-48-48 PM.jpg

2020-03-21 3-54-22 PM.jpg

2020-03-21 3-58-15 PM.jpg

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Years ago I had insane amounts of trouble because of a Radeon graphics card. Nothing but Nvidia for me.

Same here, mine was working fine until the instant it almost gave me a heart attack, and it was no more.  AMD said oh well it happens.

Smoked it.

7 radeon_card_video_graphics_smoked.jpg

I switched to my old Nvidia 1070 and I had the exact same issue.  So it’s Not the card. I originally switched to Radeon due to a problem with my Nvidia card flashing all the time. That was over 6 months ago and the Radeon worked fine up until I installed chief X12 over my X11 about a week ago. The plan in reference was originally started in x11 and worked fine.  Anyway I doubt its the cards.. Neither card. 
There is no problem with the renderings. They come out good. It’s in tcamera overview that shows certain materials as transparent, and only for some materials.  

1 hour ago, sandimc1n said:

Hi Mick 

That image above is a rendered image and the pixilating is only visible in "overview camera views" and also on some of the material swatches see previous images.  The pixilating does not show up when I render it. ? The rendering above was done with the nvidea 1070 card but that card flickers so I replaced it with the Radeon.  Here is a sample of the materials with when rotated you will see these.  It will look solid and ok until you rotate it and the other 2 images show what I see when I rotate the square.  that is the same thing with the overview.. its solid till I rotate it.  It does this with both cards! 

By Rendered do you mean Raytrace ?  ( I haven't done one in 2-3 yrs - now we have PBR )  An overview uses the STD camera, same as the Full or other Perspective Cameras so they should al have the same issue.  It's possible your Core library materials are corrupt in X12 ...maybe... since the rest of us seem to have no issues with the File.

Can you do a File>Backup Entire Project> ( check the Zipfile Option)  and post the Zipfile ........this will include every referenced file used in the plan

so we will all have the exact same textures for testing.      If you have PDFs etc in the Plan then Strip them out and maybe the Cars and Plants since those appears okay and hopefully the file will be under 25mb so you can post it.

M.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:28 PM, sandimc1n said:

Thanks Chopsaw, I tried the material update and I am still having the issue.. All the colors seem to be affected by this video issue?? The strange thing is that it was working fine in CHief X11 this is my 1st run with it and I imported the X11 dwg to the X12 and this is what I am dealing with now.. 

2020-03-18 7-24-40 PM.jpg

2020-03-18 7-25-46 PM.jpg

What you show here is NOT the Material Chopsaw uploaded for you...... if you imported it ??? it would be in your User Catalog ..... Neither , you I or Chopsaw can Update the Core Catalogues ourselves.  They are locked by Chief.

M.