Pop up screens lock up and will not open

woodwizard

Good Morning Chief users,

I am running into an issue with my pop up screens.

Computer spec attached with graphics card specs. My diagnosis of the monitors is that the laptop is running the intel graphics card and my extended monitor is using the Nvidia 

Here is an example of the executed steps that cause the issue. 

Open program from my Chief 12 shortcut on my desk top, if the program has been on my laptop screen it opens and runs fine.

If I move the program to my larger screen and work it will work properly sometimes. I then will close the program on that screen and exit the program.

I then re-open it from the Chief 12 short cut, it attempts to open on my large screen but will not completely open because of the Chief start up screen that pops up. I then have to close it through the task manager. If I open a plan that is saved on my smaller screen it bypasses the Chief start up and opens. Once I have it opened I can operate a little bit. 

While in plan view I can double click on a cabinet to edit and it will lock up and not completely open. If I attempt to do a 3D view it will lock up. For the pop ups for editing I have been able to drag them to the smaller screen and it seems to work.  

I have contacted Chief about this issue and their answer is that it is a program conflict and not their problem. I contacted Nvidia and they say it is also a conflict caused by Chief.  MSI was also contacted and agreed with Nvidia.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I shouldn't have to figure out work arounds to draw on a large screen. Any help appreciated.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Regardless of which program is the "cause" of the conflict, it's still a program conflict of some kind.  NVIDIA regularly changes their software to accommodate video games.  I doubt they do the same for Chief, and most software companies write their code to work with common video cards, but they can't control what video cards do with their hardware or software.  Anyway, the first place I would look though is at your video card.  I can definitely see a potential problem when your screens are using different video card drivers.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster because Chief should be using one or the other...preferably the NVIDIA.

12 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

I have a similar problem. When I use my dual screens, if a dialogue box opens on my secondary screen, it always locks up Chief. Always.

I cant reproduce on my system, the main screen is locked, but the pop up works and just needs an input. This is normal behaviour.

11 hours ago, woodwizard said:

I completely agree. I have tried to point everything to use the Nvidia but to no success. Is it possible that I may have to remove the onboard card?

While I have never actually tried this approach,

you could try disabling the onboard card using

the Window's "Device Manager". This back-up

computer only has one video card so only one

adapter shows in the attached image, but your

Device Manager should show both of your

Display Adapters. Select the one you don't want

and hit the Disable button.

Looks good on paper. :unsure:

Image1.png

16 hours ago, woodwizard said:

Is it possible that I may have to remove the onboard card?

Last I knew that was not a good idea or maybe not even possible once Nvidia switched to the Optimus system. At least on the last machine I had with Optimus.
I ran into issues depending on what type of cable and which port I used for the external screen but that was a while ago.You might try switching from HDMI to DisplayPort or whatever.The monitor had DP and VGA, no HDMI. ran best going from a VGA to DVI. Of course VGA doesn't exist anymore. Currently my wife runs that machine  with a second

DisplayLink monitor connected by USB A. (DisplayLink adapters for you monitor are available which might be an option worth testing)

You do have Chief set to use the Nvidia card in the control panel correct?