WINDOW SCHEDULE

Hammer7

I'm trying to add notes to a window schedule with the plan open....when i select a window that already has a label a new label is being created with a new number.  So I was able to add comments to windows one through five, then at six the note did not populate but added a window number 17....i only had 14 window numbers to begin with...

it feels like a Microsoft auto formatting feature that I don't know how it was turned on or why it is functioning the way it is...I add a note to w7 and then it shows up as window 19....Arg....why?  how do we trouble shoot these issues...the CA produced videos don't seem to cover anything like this...

Closed and reopened the plan and now window w-6 is gone...lol....did the corona virus take it away...

Untitled.png

BRESNAHAN-N.plan

3 hours ago, Hammer7 said:

I'm trying to add notes to a window schedule with the plan open....when i select a window that already has a label a new label is being created with a new number.  So I was able to add comments to windows one through five, then at six the note did not populate but added a window number 17....i only had 14 window numbers to begin with...

it feels like a Microsoft auto formatting feature that I don't know how it was turned on or why it is functioning the way it is...I add a note to w7 and then it shows up as window 19....Arg....why?  how do we trouble shoot these issues...the CA produced videos don't seem to cover anything like this...

Closed and reopened the plan and now window w-6 is gone...lol....did the corona virus take it away...

Untitled.png

BRESNAHAN-N.plan

I'm not seeing any problems. I am however very intrigued by something you're doing.

Why do you have a bunch of text notes hanging out outside your schedule with one dragged over on top of your schedule? And where did they come from?  From the looks of your screenshot, it seems like you know how to properly use the Comments field but from the looks of your plan I would have guessed otherwise.

Anyway, all seems to be working normally to me.  I suspect you're either doing something really weird and inadvertently activating tools that you're not realizing, your computer is going haywire, or you've run into a bug.  As far as I can tell though, you're just making the whole thing up so you can spend time with us :)

• Like 1

Yes, perhaps I'm not articulating the problem.  I'm selecting a window object in plan, say w-6, I open, type in the comment and the program is not entering the comment on w-6, it is reassigning the window to w-16,17,18,  or nineteen and leaving line w-6 blank... ?

1 minute ago, solver said:

You have 7 W-6 windows in the plan. When you edit one of them, adding a comment, the program sees that window as being different, from the other W-6 windows and assigns a new number to it.

I’m sure this is it.  Good thinking Eric.

1 minute ago, solver said:

You have 7 W-6 windows in the plan. When you edit one of them, adding a comment, the program sees that window as being different, from the other W-6 windows and assigns a new number to it.

Try selecting all the windows that are alike and adding a comment -- like the 2 windows flanking the front door.

Good Catch Eric. This also won't be a problem if the window(s) is selected in the schedule using the Open Row Object tool.

• Upvote 3

If you don't mind, I'll jump in. If you'd like a new schedule that has the same properties, then select the existing schedule, use the SET AS DEFAULT tool, then delete it, and place a new one. It is a pointless exercise, however as the new one will be the same as the one it replaced.

Did an online meeting with Joe and showed him some other things he needs to know about editing schedules that wasn't mentioned here which would have been difficult to explain here without writing a book. Also told him about an old schedule problem (that's been confirmed by Chief) that still isn't fixed in X12 probably due because no one complains. 

3 hours ago, Hammer7 said:

Ty Eric, is there a way to reset the window schedule to start fresh?

All the schedule does is report windows in the plan.  There's nothing wrong with the schedule.  It's your windows you would need to start fresh with.  Select your window tool, hold down the shift key, and draw a marquis around your entire floor.  Click the Open Object tool and then delete the Comment.  Repeat for other floors.  Your real problem though is that you need to understand how schedules work.  If you want the comment to apply to all of a specific window then you'll need to either group select all those window or (as Robert already mentioned) use the Open Row Object(s) tool.  Anything with a unique comment will report as a unique window, and right so. 

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't be trying to combine my windows as a single line item like you are.  For example...

"1 WINDOW W06 WILL REMAIN ALL OTHERS NEW, OLD IS IN FIRST FLOOR MASTER"

You're making more work for yourself.  Use the schedule like it's intended.  Adding a note to the window in the first floor master noting it as existing will clear all that up in one fell swoop.  Plus, you won't risk accidentally re-ordering your schedule and making yourself look silly with the reference to W06 if that's no longer the schedule number.

"THREE 07 TO REMAIN, OTHERS ARE NEW"

Again, add notes to those 3 windows and they'll become their own line item. 

• Upvote 1

Let me catch up and state what my goal is.  My goal is to place have my window schedule organized the way I want it organized.  I wish to have the window at the bottom right side of my plan on the first floor be window number one and proceed clockwise around the building until I'm done with floor one and then proceed with the second or third floor.  Is this possible in Chief?  

I do appreciate all the comments, I'm learning how the current set up operates.  A bit confusing but little by little, brick by brick...

The above sample is for a remodel with  a lot going on so....more complicated than new construction.  The point above is how to organize by floor and in the order that I prefer.  Can this be done?

5 minutes ago, Hammer7 said:

wish to have the window at the bottom right side of my plan on the first floor be window number one and proceed clockwise around the building until I'm done with floor one and then proceed with the second or third floor.  Is this possible in Chief?

This is an entirely different question, but yes, this is possible.  You really need to uncheck Group Similar Objects though unless you know for a fact that all similar window just so happen to lend right next to each and will fit perfectly into your desired sequence.  Anyway, after unchecking Group Similar Objects, just go around the house selecting the windows one by one starting at the desired corner and then click the Move Up/Down In Schedule Tool till its properly positioned.  Continue around the building till they're all in order. 

1 hour ago, tommy1 said:

Several ways to deal with that problem but to me I think it's totally subjective as to whether it should really be considered a bug or not.  If the individual windows aren't set to be excluded from the schedule, then why wouldn't they be included?  Also, just as a side note, you can easily control the behavior in X12 even further by using Custom Schedule Categories.  

EDIT:  I only read that one post when I responded just a little bit ago.  I just went back and read the rest of that thread and realized I had already responded with some good information there.  Read my last 2 posts in that thread.  Bottom line is that I don't think its a problem and neither do some of the rest  of us.  And by the way, just because Chief acknowledges something isn't the same as them admitting there's a problem or that it will be changed.  They may just be acknowledging that they see what you're saying and have documented that you want it to work differently.  Doesn't necessarily mean they plan on changing it.  Also, don't forget that not everyone at Chief is 100% familiar with all the settings and nuances.  They make mistakes and misunderstand things just like the rest of us and as such make incorrect statements too.