Schedules - Column Order

robdyck

Shouldn't a schedule create a logical order automatically? For example, if the first column is "FLOOR" shouldn't they be in order from smallest to largest? If column 2 is "ROOM NAME" shouldn't they be alphabetical? I'm sure they used to be this way... what am I missing? The attached image is of a 'fresh' schedule. It seems pretty random to me.

image.thumb.png.d5d81bba8bfc8d503f422f636136899b.png

The normal sort order is alphanumerical based on the furthest variable column to the left however, here's something I've never noticed until just now....

If you uncheck Group Similar Objects, then the sort order seems to be based on something entirely different.  Not sure what though.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

If you uncheck Group Similar Objects, then the sort order seems to be based on something entirely different.  Not sure what though.

For my Room Schedule, GROUP SIMILAR OBJECTS was unchecked. I checked that and copied the schedule and the ordering was corrected. I certainly wouldn't have thought to try that. Thanks Michael!

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

For my Room Schedule, GROUP SIMILAR OBJECTS was unchecked. I checked that and copied the schedule and the ordering was corrected. I certainly wouldn't have thought to try that. Thanks Michael!

No problem.  I'd really like to know where that other sort order is coming from though.  I can't seem to tie it to anything.  It does seem to be pretty consistently based on something though because if you test with a cabinet schedule, remove the top item from the plan, regenerate the order, and then replace the missing item and regenerate the order again, it will return to its original order.  There seems to be some specific value tied to the objects in the plans and it seems unrelated to the object_id too.  Anyone at Chief??

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Is it based on the build order? That's the only thing I could come up with.

That was my first thought as well, but that wouldn't really explain how the sort order seems to be so stable.  What would that build order be based on?  It seems totally random, but again, totally stable.  If elements are removed and then added back in later then they seem to return to their original locations in the sort order.  It seems like the build order would change.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That was my first thought as well, but that wouldn't really explain how the sort order seems to be so stable.  What would that build order be based on?  It seems totally random, but again, totally stable.  If elements are removed and then added back in later then they seem to return to their original locations in the sort order.  It seems like the build order would change.  

Maybe this is what you guys mean when you say “build order”. But I always thought it was in order the item was placed while building the model.  However I always just kept going and reorganized it manually.  So nice to know it can be reordered that easy.  Thanks Michael!

• 1 month later...

Strange, that this must have changed for X12 and it is ANNOYING AF!

I know in x11 I sorted by Room.

It sorts them by Number, which is Automatic from the object from what I can tell(not idea how it chooses it).

If you remove the Number Column, and put say ROOM in the first column, X11 I am sure sorted by First Column by default.

If you selected Group Similar Objects, it overrides the First Column Sort.

This appears to me to be a bug in X12, Honestly, schedules are something that CA struggles with. Last year at IBS 2018 (ok year before last), I pointed this out to 2 guys at the booth. The specific BUG in my case, was if you rotate a schedule, all TEXT rotates, but the elevation/image (as with cabinets) would not rotate.

They fixed that in X11.

It seems they just don't get how schedules are used in the real world.

For Permitting, they want it grouped by room.

For Electrical Vendor, they want it grouped by type.

But no matter I am absolutely sure that it would group by Nubmer First, then if Numberl was removed it would group by Column A.

Which is what one fo the how-to's here even documents.

This is simply a bug.