Moving Object Origin

kwhitt

I've been importing some symbols today for my user catalog.  I've got a 3-bladed ceiling fan where the origin isn't geometrically centered.  I thought by moving the model (in the symbol DBX) so that the Y-axis was centered on the motor, this would put the plan origin in the correct place.  Not the case.  How do I go about this?  Thanks, Kevin

fan_plan.jpg

fan_DBX.jpg

You need to place something extra into your cad block that centers it up.  A visible solution I have used that is handy would be to place a dashed cad line to mark the outer circumference of the rotation path.  Other methods would be a blank or white line or marker or an empty text box works well.

image.thumb.png.d04767fed33f5459a293a78e56389229.png

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

You need to place something extra into your cad block that centers it up.  A visible solution I have used that is handy would be to place a dashed cad line to mark the outer circumference of the rotation path.  Other methods would be a blank or white line or marker or an empty text box works well.

image.thumb.png.d04767fed33f5459a293a78e56389229.png

Chop - does that mean I have to import this new symbol from the app it was created in?  I tried to select the existing symbol AND the circular CAD line, but I no longer have the option to convert to a symbol.  How is this done in CA or is it necessary to import again with the circle as part of the geometry?

Sorry one other thing I forgot is that cad blocks for symbols do not respect line styles.  So don't bother trying a blank style or in my example a dashed line style.   I did that by using distributed line segments.

You take the existing chief generated block from CAD Block Management ( usually although you can start from scratch ) and then insert it and edit as you like then re block and apply that new 2D cad block to the symbol in question.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Other methods would be a blank or white line or marker or an empty text box works well.

The reason I started using the empty text box is that its the only one that makes everything disappear.  I used to use points and zero length lines but ultimately all those other methods I used showed up as dots in one view or another (which was really only a minor problem but an annoyance nonetheless).  The text boxes are truly invisible.