Needing Help with deck/Balcony supports

SMSanders76

Hi,

I am having trouble with getting my third floor deck supports to extend and connect with my first floor deck. There is no decking on the second floor (the second floor is essentially a half floor almost, I had to create it to be able to put a loft above a room on the first floor). I am pretty new to Chief, and have been able to figure a lot out on my own however, I am apprehensive about turning off the "automatic decking" (which the pop-up message told me I would have to do whenever I tried just extending one of the posts).

To add-- I am an interior design student, this is for one of my final projects so, as much as I would like for the decking to be up to code, it isn't imperative, I mainly need the posts to extend all the way down so that I can place furniture accordingly, and also so that my elevations aren't wonky looking.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!

I've include a picture of the structure below. 

back elevation.PNG

IDS222_BREWERY_FLPLN.plan

Edited by SMSanders76
I added my plan file to my original post

15 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

You can manually place decking, this is a very quick fix, please post your .plan file here so we can take a look. Also, you should fill out your signature so we know what system and version of the software you are using

I added the plan file but be warned--its still an absolute mess and no where near finished! Thanks for your help, I using CA X11

1. Open your plan view "Framing, Floor Plan View"

2. Fill Screen

3. Select 1 deck post, then use the  "Marquee Select Similar" tool to select all deck posts.

4. Change bottom height to 0 (top height will be locked when you open the dialog box).

Yes, you'll have to turn off the auto framing, and yes, if you turn it back on, you'll need to repeat this process, but at least you'll know how!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, SMSanders76 said:

Hi,

I am having trouble with getting my third floor deck supports to extend and connect with my first floor deck. There is no decking on the second floor (the second floor is essentially a half floor almost, I had to create it to be able to put a loft above a room on the first floor). I am pretty new to Chief, and have been able to figure a lot out on my own however, I am apprehensive about turning off the "automatic decking" (which the pop-up message told me I would have to do whenever I tried just extending one of the posts).

To add-- I am an interior design student, this is for one of my final projects so, as much as I would like for the decking to be up to code, it isn't imperative, I mainly need the posts to extend all the way down so that I can place furniture accordingly, and also so that my elevations aren't wonky looking.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!

I've include a picture of the structure below. 

back elevation.PNG

IDS222_BREWERY_FLPLN.plan

I had to "experiment" to figure this out...but, you can do it automatically...although, there could be some consequences I haven't discovered.  

Open the ground floor deck room...and change the ceiling height to "zero"...or, if you have dropped the deck...you might have to give the ceiling a negative height...which the software does not like.  Keep auto deck framing turned on...and the posts will build down as you would want...automatically.  

See pictures attached:

2020-03-18_22-23-50.thumb.png.c518c457db66d1b3f8945a7e0997d628.png 2020-03-18_22-23-35.thumb.png.b814cff70ef06df48297c4bcd09bacdb.png