Stairs - COMPLETE BREAK TOOL

SNestor

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

Is it possible to create a "complete break" in a stair in the middle of a tread and wrap a full tread partially around a wall corner...like in "real life"...or, as I've been experiencing, does the tool only separate the stair into complete sections maintaining full treads for an upper and lower section.  

2020-03-16_11-35-56.thumb.png.08c746692aa1784f4eef9787a458026a.png

The tool (for me at least) doesn't seem to work as per the video Chief put out about it.  It would be nice if when releasing these new tools they would release complete videos on how tools like this work, what the process is...etc.  :wacko:

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that it was at a tread/riser line only. I've ended up using two separate stairs as I'm not smart enough to figure out how that break stair tool is supposed to be helpful. The 2 stairs will automatically join for correct heights at least. To do what you want, you'll need to use a landing for that tread that wraps the wall.

Yea...I know about using a landing...but, watching the Chief "sales" video...I thought Chief was giving us a tool that actually solved this issue.  But...not quite.

I gather it's like everything that's related to the stair tool generally.  It kind of works...sort of, somewhat...B) 

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Yea...I know about using a landing...but, watching the Chief "sales" video...I thought Chief was giving us a tool that actually solved this issue.  But...not quite.

I gather it's like everything that's related to the stair tool generally.  It kind of works...sort of, somewhat...B) 

You can use the break stair tool, adjust your stairs, then move the walls. You'll just need to adjust the drawing order to display properly in plan view and if 3D matters (which it does) then you'll need a solid to fix the portion of the wall cut by the stairs.

Chief's way (at a tread/ riser):

image.thumb.png.0cc0ef0de8a8c036326c54b19daba9ab.png

Moving the wall after the stair break:

image.thumb.png.11da4eec41f333e53061ceccead82bab.png

Using a landing:

image.thumb.png.d0f32371b56b8c188a934f18ef7fc98e.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks Robert.  

From the "sales video" I assumed that this new incredible tool was created just to make this common stair design possible with just a couple clicks.  Guess not.  

As I've said many times...the stair tool (the weakest tool in Chief) needs a major overhaul.  But hey, I'm not holding my breath. 

And finally, here's a pic where I used the landing, then deleted it and dragged the stairs together. For some reason, these walls are remaining intact at the corner, even after double-clicking them and closing them. Some experimentation shows that it appears that as long as the wall that intersect a tread doesn't intersect more than half the tread, then the wall wins over the stairs.

image.thumb.png.c4fd946faedf349697b03c33c11de959.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 3/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, robdyck said:

You can use the break stair tool

Well, I really struggled with this very same problem today and came across this thread on how to break a straight stair run into different widths.

What I discovered is first use the break tool (hotkey 3) and then select the further refinement of  "make complete break."

image.png.267baf8d9eddd46c1f0183358cca4abd.png

All I can say is "give me a break!"  :)

This is probably old news, but thought I'd post in case it helps.

Jim

Screenshot below showing straight run with staggered widths.

image.thumb.png.7ebe271e0144563bfcd4cc3562a42bc9.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1