Stair landing baseboard

DH7777

AFAIK there is no 'on' for that. You'll need to drive down to the supply center, pick up the molding, get your saw, nailer, caulking gun and paint brush...I mean use a molding p-line and place it manually. Why don't landings have a molding option??

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Caulk?!? How dare you! :P

Oh I dare alright! Another question that could be asked in this post...How the bleep do you get the stringers or trim or (whatever they are) to clip the top when they join a landing?

image.thumb.png.deb8e2d4a1afe70a7a2750fba4ece1f4.pngimage.thumb.png.f3dc2d853e77bf3089b21058b3d87197.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Oh I dare alright! Another question that could be asked in this post...How the bleep do you get the stringers or trim or (whatever they are) to clip the top when they join a landing?

image.thumb.png.deb8e2d4a1afe70a7a2750fba4ece1f4.pngimage.thumb.png.f3dc2d853e77bf3089b21058b3d87197.png

Haven't tried it with landings yet but I'm sure that, with stairs, there is also some type of mouth position or incantation required....

1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

Haven't tried it with landings yet but I'm sure that, with stairs, there is also some type of mouth position or incantation required....

I've certainly let the incantations fly a few times! I work from home, and now I've gotta keep looking over my shoulder to make sure the kids don't find out what dad's really like!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

I think 'Skirt board' is the correct term for those.  How to clip...  I have wondered as well.   I haven't played with X12 enough, but I thought I saw something new to address that.

A little ditty from an old uncle who was a fine finish carpenter

A little putty and a little paint

Makes a carpenter what he ain’t

If in doubt, do not pout

Do your best and caulk the rest...

Regards

Rick

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DzinEye said:

I think 'Skirt board' is the correct term for those.  How to clip...  I have wondered as well.   I haven't played with X12 enough, but I thought I saw something new to address that.

I don't believe Chief will "clip" the skirt or a Stringer.  In the video below I show how to use a 3D molding polyline to create a good looking...and realistic looking skirtboard.  It's near the end of the video...feel free to skip along.  It's an older video...sorry for the "green" look I chose for my Chief color.  Yikes...although, on this being St. Patricks Day...maybe it's appropriate?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

X12 does have a new Clip Stringer option. I've found it to be a little finicky and does not appear to work at a Landing, but it's stairs so...?

1195552736_ScreenShot2020-03-18at9_25_30AM.thumb.png.e3814066866cfe45659d0605dfa2df5d.png

12 hours ago, SNestor said:

I don't believe Chief will "clip" the skirt or a Stringer.  In the video below I show how to use a 3D molding polyline to create a good looking...and realistic looking skirtboard.  It's near the end of the video...feel free to skip along.  It's an older video...sorry for the "green" look I chose for my Chief color.  Yikes...although, on this being St. Patricks Day...maybe it's appropriate?

Nice video Steve. That trim is certainly better than what Chief provides, and seems just as fast compared with the headaches of making the parametric settings do what you want. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

X12 does have a new Clip Stringer option. I've found it to be a little finicky and does not appear to work at a Landing, but it's stairs so...?

That's what I was showing in my earlier post. For stairs at a landing, If you open the stair dbx and check the clip top function, it shows them clipped. But when you close the dbx, alas, they do not clip:(

And nice of @SNestor to post his video again, but how come (by now) we can't actually tell the stairs to:

-clip the top (for real, honestly, just do it if I tell you to)

-extend the stringer beyond the bottom nosing a specified distnace

-add a molding to the stringer / trim against wall (with edge control)

I realize I'm asking pointless questions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That's what I was showing in my earlier post.

I know, it just appeared some weren't aware, so I was just clarifying.

For stairs at a landing, If you open the stair dbx and check the clip top function, it shows them clipped. But when you close the dbx, alas, they do not clip:(

Yeah, the feature seems very unreliable. But I'm still on Beta so maybe it's been corrected? I'll play with it when I upgrade and if still not working 100% i'll turn it in.

And nice of @SNestor to post his video again, (+1) but how come (by now) we can't actually tell the stairs to:

-clip the top (for real, honestly, just do it if I tell you to) (+1)

-extend the stringer beyond the bottom nosing a specified distnace (+1)

-add a molding to the stringer / trim against wall (with edge control) (+1)

I realize I'm asking pointless questions.

Maybe time for another Suggestion?

2 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Maybe time for another Suggestion?

I don't know...I think we need another cabinet manufacturer library instead. I've only got a choice of about 97 different shaker style cabinet doors.

But yes, I'll add to the suggestions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robdyck said:
2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

That's what I was showing in my earlier post. For stairs at a landing, If you open the stair dbx and check the clip top function, it shows them clipped. But when you close the dbx, alas, they do not clip:(

Ahaa.. didn't catch that you had indicated you used the new clipping option.  Well that certainly appears to be a bug.  I think that should be reported... along with your request for more cabinet vendors.  ;)

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

I don't know...I think we need another cabinet manufacturer library instead. I've only got a choice of about 97 different shaker style cabinet doors.

But yes, I'll add to the suggestions.

Yea...no more cabinet library's PLEASE.  

Personally, I think CA should provide a 3D Molding Polyline for Stairs (including Landings) that could have Molding Profiles assigned.  This would provide for Skirt Boards, Wainscots, etc.  In addition, copying that Molding Polyline would allow for handrails.  

IMO this would be a much more comprehensive solution than the current system.

I've used 3D Molding Polylines for some stairs in the past and it works.  It's just that you have to carefully create that 3D Molding Polyline so that everything lines up correctly.  If it was created automatically it would be much easier.

4 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I've used 3D Molding Polylines for some stairs in the past and it works.  It's just that you have to carefully create that 3D Molding Polyline so that everything lines up correctly.  If it was created automatically it would be much easier.

Yep, it works great until you need to adjust the stairs.  I had a project with 3 floors and had to detail all the skirt board trim per Steve's vid plus had panels made from molding polylines following the stair slope above that, and had to adjust the stairs 3X during the project...  you can imagine my joy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Yep, it works great until you need to adjust the stairs.  I had a project with 3 floors and had to detail all the skirt board trim per Steve's vid plus had panels made from molding polylines following the stair slope above that, and had to adjust the stairs 3X during the project...  you can imagine my joy

Yea...YIKES. I feel your pain...

C'mon Chief Engineers...get to work fixing the stair tool.