Reversing plan - advice on process?

EngelsmaHomes

Hi all,

Looking for a good process to reverse my plans as needed. I have a couple different relating questions:

1. I've been using Edit > Edit Area > Edit Area (All Floors) and mirroring over a line. I saw recently that there is a reverse plan tool (Tools > Reverse Plan). Does this essentially do the same thing? Any differences?

2. Is there a good way to reverse your elevation views and preserve dimensions/notes/ect?

Thanks!

In my experience, I would not use the reverse plan tool.

I draw a line off to one side of the plan to use the mirror tool.

I turn on all layers the unlock all layers. Use the "Edit Area" tool with "All floors" & mirror about the line.

The problems I had were mostly electrical connections if you mirror within the existing plan.

Like when you draw a line down the middle of the plan to mirror about.

Seem a lot of automatic thinks get confused unless you mirror to an unusedd area of the plan.

Make sure you create back plan before you start.

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on reversing elevation views and preserving notes and dimensions per above?

4 hours ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

2. Is there a good way to reverse your elevation views and preserve dimensions/notes/ect?

That is one reason to mirror the house some distance away from the original position.

Front & rear are easy, you just draw a vertical line and mirror the objects and move them into position.

Left & right will require you to select the text & dims make into a block, then cut & paste into the opposite elevation view.

That's what I do.

I don't think, in all 15 of my years with Chief, that I have not used the reverse plan tool. There will be some text items that need fixed, and you will need to make a couple adjustments with elevation and section cameras. Not sure what happens with a line and edit area tool.

7 hours ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on reversing elevation views and preserving notes and dimensions per above?

If you mirror the plan then the elevations taken from it should also be reversed

On 3/16/2020 at 6:02 AM, EngelsmaHomes said:

I saw recently that there is a reverse plan tool (Tools > Reverse Plan). Does this essentially do the same thing? Any differences?

No.  Definitely not the same thing.  I believe the original intent of the Reverse Plan tool was to flip the building on the lot because it will NOT reverse any terrain items.  This is the most notable difference, but in addition, the Reverse Plan tool will flip elevation cameras while Edit Area will not and Edit Area gives you much more refined control over what gets flipped. 

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

No.  Definitely not the same thing.  I believe the original intent of the Reverse Plan tool was to flip the building on the lot because it will NOT reverse any terrain items.  This is the most notable difference, but in addition, the Reverse Plan tool will flip elevation cameras while Edit Area will not and Edit Area gives you much more refined control over what gets flipped. 

If the Reverse Plan tool allows me to keep the saved elevation, I'd probably be willing to reverse the terrain myself. I'll have to test both ways i guess.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, ACADuser said:

That is one reason to mirror the house some distance away from the original position.

Front & rear are easy, you just draw a vertical line and mirror the objects and move them into position.

Left & right will require you to select the text & dims make into a block, then cut & paste into the opposite elevation view.

That's what I do.

Good advice - I think this is likely the way I will have to go!

• 10 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 5:55 PM, joey_martin said:

I don't think, in all 15 of my years with Chief, that I have not used the reverse plan tool. There will be some text items that need fixed, and you will need to make a couple adjustments with elevation and section cameras. Not sure what happens with a line and edit area tool.

Would this be a good method to copy the plan and then place it in reverse on the next property?  The first drawing is complete and the contractor wants to do the exact plan in reverse next door with some minor revisions.  

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2020 at 8:31 PM, DzinEye said:

If you mirror the plan then the elevations taken from it should also be reversed

Hi! I am having this issue also. I've followed the steps listed and the elevations stay when I mirror. All layers displayed all layers unlocked. Anyone have this issue and find a solution? 

Thanks! 

CA x14

@FellerHomes If you mirror the building, the elevations WILL mirror.  If you have already sent the elevations to layout, you will have to update the layout box to see the newly reversed elevations.

BTW, I find the center of the building and Edit Area All Floors Reflect About the centered line to keep the plan near 0, 0, centered on the screen and within the layout boxes. I create a box 12' from each side of the building to include dimensions and notes, the use the those limits to find the center.  It makes flipping elevation text a breeze (select all, reverse).  Everything is where it belongs.

If you reflect about a line off to the side, you'll have to recenter all your text and layout viewport boxes.