Railing on Balcony

Benny_G

Dear all,

I just recently acquired Chief Architect Premier Software to build and renovate houses. I am based in Europe and here we today often build balconies in concrete and instead of a metal or wooden railing. In the concrete we insert a aluminum or stainless steel profile and then insert tempered glass vertically. The glass hereby has the function of the railing.

In my current project I built the balcony using a slab. Has anyone an idea, how I could design a vertical glass railing on it?

Thanks for your help.

Benny

Dear Chopsaw and DJP,

Thanks for your answers. This is the front view of the balcony. Moreover as a next step I intend to add vertical columns ranging from the ground floor till the height of the 1st floor ceiling. They should be connected with a horizontal concrete piece to the face of the building.

image.thumb.png.fe7d674c2f08e892c475ee40572e4627.png

Kind regards,

Benny

Ok the plan makes sense just as long as I don't ask why there are cars in the bedroom. :)   Do you have a manufactures picture or as built project picture of the specific railing design ?   It sounds like maybe you have no top or bottom rail and just a custom newel post to hold the glass which is just a matter of changing some of the default properties and materials. Or drawing and applying the the specific newel post design.

image.thumb.png.21531303467aa116778ad6f9dacc55e7.png

1. Build your balcony perimeter by using a thin wall type, then make those walls invisible.

2. Add a railing wall inside of the balcony perimeter at the appropriate offset for your metal insert. Make this wall to have No Room Definition.

3. Define the railing parameters of this inner glass wall to be panels, with newels spaced at the maximum length of your glass panels (ie: 4' or 1.2 m).

4. Make the newels an invisible material and make them 1/2" in width and the same height as the panels. The newels will show up in vector view, but not in renderings.

image.thumb.png.8c5c7b857562f61461ae42b0e612d41e.pngimage.thumb.png.6d7020457b5d40f9f569ed981da172c8.png

On 3/15/2020 at 11:04 PM, Chopsaw said:

Ok the plan makes sense just as long as I don't ask why there are cars in the bedroom. :)   Do you have a manufactures picture or as built project picture of the specific railing design ?   It sounds like maybe you have no top or bottom rail and just a custom newel post to hold the glass which is just a matter of changing some of the default properties and materials. Or drawing and applying the the specific newel post design.

image.thumb.png.21531303467aa116778ad6f9dacc55e7.png

Well, actually it is just the view which looks unified. From the other side of the house it is a standard garage. But thanks for the valuable input.

On 3/15/2020 at 4:47 PM, Benny_G said:

Dear Chopsaw and DJP,

Thanks for your answers. This is the front view of the balcony. Moreover as a next step I intend to add vertical columns ranging from the ground floor till the height of the 1st floor ceiling. They should be connected with a horizontal concrete piece to the face of the building.

image.thumb.png.fe7d674c2f08e892c475ee40572e4627.png

Kind regards,

Benny

Your post inspired this video.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Benny_G said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for the great video. It was very helpful and I was even able to delete the posts except for two of them.

Best regards,

Benny

Thanks!  I'm happy it helped you out...