Stretch Planes/Stretch Zones

kwhitt

I'm trying to create a shower pan symbol that I can change in width and depth and still have the drain center (without distortion).  The first image shows how I have the symbol setup using stretch planes.  When I resize, the width works just fine, however, changing the depth, keeps the drain the same distance from the back.  I want the drain to stay towards the middle.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

shower pan symbol dbx.jpg

result.jpg

4 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

What am I doing wrong?

Using a shower pan with a center drain, for one! Modifying a symbol meant to represent a manufactured acrylic or fiberglass shower base, for another! Just kidding.

The fixture will generate correctly, and the 2d block will regenerate accurately for a width stretch, but the 2d block will not generate correctly for a depth stretch. Weird!

If you're after a manufactured shower base, there's plenty in the library of various, available sizes (Kohler). If you're using a custom shower, there's plenty of drains in the library. Just place it in your 'Shower' Room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Using a shower pan with a center drain, for one! Modifying a symbol meant to represent a manufactured acrylic or fiberglass shower base, for another! Just kidding.

The fixture will generate correctly, and the 2d block will regenerate accurately for a width stretch, but the 2d block will not generate correctly for a depth stretch. Weird!

If you're after a manufactured shower base, there's plenty in the library of various, available sizes (Kohler). If you're using a custom shower, there's plenty of drains in the library. Just place it in your 'Shower' Room.

Thanks Rob.  I am just going to draw it with CAD lines as I only need a plan view for now.  I'm not sure why it isn't working...

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yup.  Definitely some weird behavior.  To fix issues like this you can always select the object and Convert Selected To Symbol to get a new symbol and a new 2D Block. 

Thanks Michael.  Converting to Symbol is how I created the object to begin with (used a Chief library symbol).  Are you suggesting to try it again after resizing?  Kevin

5 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Michael.  Converting to Symbol is how I created the object to begin with (used a Chief library symbol).  Are you suggesting to try it again after resizing?  Kevin

No.  Not suggesting you try it again.  Resize as desired and then convert that updated size to a new symbol.  The NEW geometry will generate a new (and accurate) 2D block that will be correct.  This is what I used to do when I needed an accurate 2D Block back before Chief gave us the Auto Generate option (which apparently still has some issues).  And P.S.  This is what I still do when I actually need to use that block and it's related line work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

No.  Not suggesting you try it again.  Resize as desired and then convert that updated size to a new symbol.  The NEW geometry will generate a new (and accurate) 2D block that will be correct.  This is what I used to do when I needed an accurate 2D Block back before Chief gave us the Auto Generate option (which apparently still has some issues).  And P.S.  This is what I still do when I actually need to use that block and it's related line work.

Thanks Michael.  I've tried this and the symbol will not re-center when I adjust the depth, so the symbol is not accurate.  Attached is the symbol if helpful...

shower pan resize.calibz

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Michael.  I've tried this and the symbol will not re-center when I adjust the depth, so the symbol is not accurate.  Attached is the symbol if helpful...

shower pan resize.calibz

Not sure what you're missing.  Sometimes I feel like I must be speaking a different language than the rest of the world.  See if this helps though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure what you're missing.  Sometimes I feel like I must be speaking a different language than the rest of the world.  See if this helps though.

Thank you Michael.  I didn't realize the drain center was in the correct location after resizing when viewed in 3D - it was just the 2D symbol that wasn't updating.  I appreciate the video.  Kevin