Pattern line weights in elevation views

Hammer7

If you want to turn off all patterns for the view, you turn off the layer.  If you just want to turn off the pattern for the roof, you need to edit the roof material.  Unfortunately, if you modify the roof material, then all camera views will be affected.  I don't know of a way to turn off just the roof pattern for just one view but maybe someone else knows a trick.

From your screenshot it looks like you are using a CAD detail as opposed to a live view. It's pretty easy if you don't mind a bit of work. For a CAD detail, just delete all the roof pattern lines. 

For a live or plot line view, use 2 layout boxes of the front elevation. Crop the layout box for the roof and set the pattern line color to white. I just did one and it took me 2 seconds.

image.thumb.png.5f6b8deefbddcbc9cae7242fdcaf2215.pngimage.thumb.png.658c9e40fe52b0ee76a23d1fccd2eb1d.pngimage.thumb.png.7430f59cabc1edb382a97fb8e51c8cab.png

• Like 1

There are a couple other options in addition to what Robert suggested...

1. Consider not turning the lines off completely but rather reducing them to a smaller line weight and lighter color.  I personally do this by sending to Layout using Pattern Line Defaults and then setting the Pattern lines to a line weight of zero and a gray color.  The pattern lines don't jumble the view that way but they still communicate some information about what you're looking at.
  2. You can turn ALL the patterns off for a specific view by using a specific Layer Set for that view and then toggling off the "Pattern, 3D Views" layer for just that layer set.  Dermot mentioned this, but I spelled it out in a little more detail to underline the importance of using a different layer set.  Also, don't confuse this method with using with the Toggle Patterns tool which will Toggle Patterns for ALL views.
  • Like 1

If you're sending to layout as Plot Lines, you can also delete them in the layout view. It's a bit of work but so is every method.

One trick that expedites selecting plot lines in layout - once you have the first line selected, you can marquee-select by holding the shift key. You can delete an entire roof plane of shingles in just a few seconds using this method.

As always, the downside to editing plot lines in layout is that if you ever need to refresh the view you'll lose all your edits. So any edits should be made once you're certain the view is final.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robdyck said:

Crop the layout box for the roof and set the pattern line color to white. I just did one and it took me 2 seconds.

Just thought I'd better mention that this method doesn't work so good if you're using color or shadows, but instead of cropping the layout box you can also just apply a CAD mask to cover the roof in you elevation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, evergreen said:

Thanks for the tip, Michael, on the Plot Line option...Line work is noticeable crisper.

I also do prefer the lighter pattern line work.

You bet.  I went over some of this in the video, but in addition to the crisp line work, you also get...

-Increased control over line display on an object by object basis

-Increased control over those Pattern Lines

-Snap points in layout

-Editable Layout Lines

-Real time feedback as to what your drawings are actually going to look like when printed