skylights

TylerB

I am trying to manually edit my ceiling hole but when I open the skylight to do so, the option is unable to be used. the option to manually edit the hole is light gray or turned off. My problem also is I have a lower ceiling and a longer skylight so the finish ceiling is running straight into it. I am using the x12 version.

Those options are disabled unless you have an automatic flat ceiling for the room.  If you have turned off the room's ceiling and are using manual ceiling planes, you can add your own holes to the ceiling planes.  If the skylight finds an appropriate hole below it, it should build the shaft surfaces to connect the two.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Adding a sky light to a hipped end roof 22.5 degree slop, the skylight appears as a box on top of the roof  in the 3D Perspective overview.

The Second floor (rather than attic as staircase needed) is in the roof with the ceiling being the roof.

I rather not have to redraw the whole plan again to try and fix this error, 

Thanks

Mark

Version X11 & X12 on Windows 10

Untitled.png

Here are a couple of thoughts and some suggestions:

You shouldn't need to redraw the plan just to fix a skylight.  Have you tried just deleting the skylight and redrawing it?  Have you tried selecting the skylight and looking at the data in the dialog (it looks like you might just have some bad sizes)?

If you can't figure this out on your own, you will probably need to post the plan so someone can figure out what you did and offer some better suggestions.

In the future, I would recommend you post a new thread when you have a new problem.

If all else fails, I would recommend that you contact technical support for more help.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dshall said:
On 3/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, Dermot said:

.......  If the skylight finds an appropriate hole below it, it should build the shaft surfaces to connect the two.

I am not sure I knew that,  thanks.

I was going to respond the same!  Also... Dermot, if you're still following... if you don't mind, what parameters qualify an 'appropriate' hole below it.  I would imagine size needs to be at least as big as the skylight.. but is there an upper limit to the size of the hole?... and is there a limit to the distance, both vertical and horizontal from the skylight?

Thank you,

Mark

"if you don't mind, what parameters qualify an 'appropriate' hole below it.  I would imagine size needs to be at least as big as the skylight.. but is there an upper limit to the size of the hole?... and is there a limit to the distance, both vertical and horizontal from the skylight?"

If you play around with the tools, you might be able to figure out what will work and not work pretty quickly.  If you find a real-world case that you think should work and doesn't, then please be sure to submit a feature request or bug report to our technical support team.

"I used the polyline method to create a hole in the roof and drop the skylight into the hole."

I'm still not really sure what you are doing but if it's working for you, then all is probably fine.

Just to clarify, the only difference between a skylight and hole in a roof is whether or not the "skylight" checkbox is checked.

You can either place a 2'x2' skylight by single clicking or draw any size skylight you like by clicking and dragging.  This is not always obvious to new users.

The only reason I can think of that you might need two separate objects, a hole and a skylight, is for the situation where you have a skylight on a roof plane and a ceiling hole in a custom ceiling that is below the roof plane.

• Like 1

The skylight is 114cm x 118cm  and enlarging a standard size skylight causes the raised box.

There are custom ceilings, floors and walls as this is an ECO bungalow, so 200mm of insulation in walls and roof.

Thanks for your help

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Since we're discussing skylights here, I wonder how I can get my skylights on to my window schedule?

I assume you're asking that rhetorically, since it's an often asked question with no satisfactory answer.
Personally, I use the Schedule to Text function on my window schedule, then alter that copy to become a Skylight Schedule.
It's pretty fast and easy, and since there's usually only ever a handful of skylights, and several of those are often the same size, so it's really not that big of a deal to me.

• Upvote 1