Thick Exterior wall with Recessed Door

ddaigle

Hi There,

I'm modeling a home with thick foundation walls.

My exterior doors are recessed (even though I haven't selected recessed into wall in the door options).

I don't want the door to be recessed, but instead flush with the exterior surface.  How do I do this?

Thank you!!

wall definition.JPG

Recessed Door.JPG

Door Framing.JPG

Door Casing.JPG

Door Options.JPG

I've been frustrated by the lack of inset control on doors (like we have with windows) ever since I started using Chief. 

I raised a detailed suggestion via support two years ago covering various examples where I need to be able to change the inset either to around the middle or the 'wrong' side as Chief see it versus the opening direction. 

For workarounds all I do is either make it two way to put the door more in the middle if that's near enough or make a symbol out of it.  I did experiment with wall layers and even tiny sections of thinner wall but each created their own issues.

Thanks Guys.  Yeah .. I don't want to mess around with the wall layers.  Simon, I like your idea about the 2-way swing.  I didn't want to reverse swing direction entirely.

That helps offset the 3D view.   

2 hours ago, ddaigle said:

I'm modeling a home with thick foundation walls.

My exterior doors are recessed (even though I haven't selected recessed into wall in the door options).

I don't want the door to be recessed, but instead flush with the exterior surface.  How do I do this?

Keep in mind that if you're using an in-swing door with the door set close to the exterior of the wall, the path of the door's swing will be limited to 90 degrees. That may or may not be desirable.

• 2 years later...

Hi Had same problem.  Solved by having the door opened to the outside.  But having another problem: old house with inside and outside doors in same frame. Cannot find solution beside designing my own doors.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I found a solution I thought I would share. I am also working on an older home with 21"Tck stone walls. Here is what I did:

- Went into the door Specifications (Double clicked on door)

- General Tab - Set my door size to 42"W x 83"H - This is the pre-existing rough opening size in the wall. 

- Options Tab - Checked "Swing Both Ways"

- Casing Tab - Turned off Interior and Exterior casing

- Jamb Tab - Turned on "Door Size Includes Jamb"

- Same Jamb Tab - Set jamb width and height to 3" which gave me a 36" x 80"Door, Unchecked "Fit Jamb to Wall", Set Jamb depth at 6" and Inset to 7".

Not perfect, but close! And the same concept applies to windows!

Screenshot 2023-11-28 170743.png

• Upvote 1

@Custom_CraftIf not done already please raise this in either Suggestions or email to CA.  I've been suggesting door inset control for 5 years but the more people that ask for it the better.

Windows do already have inset control and that works for my cases at least, but we do need it for doors as none of the workarounds are 100%