Let me start off by saying I am NOT an architect of any sort. My husband and I are building a house and I keep changing the floor plans. I cannot visualize anything on paper and we don't have anyone in our area that does these 3D renderings. I downloaded the trial to give it a shot myself and play around with changes before sending them to our architect. I watched a webinar the other week and I have watched video after video. However, I still cannot get the roof as I need it. I can't get it all connecting with the gable ends on the left and right ends of the house. I haven't been able to figure out how to add the additional window on the 2nd floor in the middle of the house. I know this is a rough sketch and its not all exactly the way our floor plans are, I am just trying to figure out how to get the exterior (mainly the roof) to work out as I have so far had good luck with all of the interior work. Any help and tips are greatly appreciated. 

on our main floor, we have 9' ceilings, cathedral ceiling in the great room that is open above, and 8' ceilings upstairs. 

FRONT.jpg

LEFT.jpg

REAR.jpg

RIGHT.jpg

FRONT 1.jpg

LEFT 1.jpg

REAR 1.jpg

RIGHT 1.jpg

INSIDE.jpg

5 minutes ago, solver said:

You are using software that you do not intend to buy?

You are here asking a group of professionals that have purchased and use the software to make a living to diagnose and provide instructions on correcting your problems?

There are free learning resources available, or you might post in Seeking Services offering to pay instead of spending the time necessary to learn the program.

Yes +1

There are plenty of professionals here that can render out your project or finish your build/collaborate online via screensharing sessions etc. I'd be happy to list a few but better if you put it in the seeking services section if you're so inclined. This is how we all make a living, as Eric said, thank you.

• Like 1

No, I never stated I do not intend to buy the software. However, I do not plan on buying a program that I can’t figure out or is too complicated to operate. They offer a trial version for a reason. Therefor I am using the trial version to see if I’m able to construct our house the way I need to and if so, I did plan on purchasing it to further detail the interior such as the kitchen cabinets, furniture, etc. I would like to have a real good idea of what we’re building prior to building. 

And yes, I did ask a group of professionals to help me out on an issue I was having in a support group. Just because I’m not a “professional” means I can’t ask a support/help group for help with an issue or something I can’t figure out? I must have missed that memo somewhere! 

As I also stated, I have watched tons of videos that are available to me and have done a lot of reading trying to figure out not only the roofing part but learning the software overall. However, I still haven’t been able to figure out to build the roof. So, my apologies for asking professionals who use this software very frequently for help in a support group. 

Further more, like I stated above, there is no one in our area who does these 3D renderings. If I was able to figure out the program fully I would love to further my education and possibly offer this service to others in our area. But no, I’m not going to spend $3,000 on software that I’m unable to achieve what I’m going for. I think most would agree with me. 

20 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Yes +1

There are plenty of professionals here that can render out your project or finish your build/collaborate online via screensharing sessions etc. I'd be happy to list a few but better if you put it in the seeking services section if you're so inclined. This is how we all make a living, as Eric said, thank you.

I understand most of you all use this software to make a living. I didn’t really see it being a big deal on asking for help just because I’m not a professional. I would love to learn this program and further my education on it to maybe one day offer it to others in my town. 

Well I think you have done really well doing what you have  considering it your first go probably  best to post your plan you have come to the right place this is a place of help not a place for business there are other section in this forum for that

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, stanlee92218 said:

I understand most of you all use this software to make a living. I didn’t really see it being a big deal on asking for help just because I’m not a professional. I would love to learn this program and further my education on it to maybe one day offer it to others in my town. 

Not a big deal at all, just informing you of available services as you made mention of there not being a local resource. I for one offer recorded training sessions where you can see the fix as I push your project forward. Many such users as myself. 

As Mark mentioned, please upload your .plan file and we can take a look. It helps to save a camera with some notes to better illustrate your issue with the roofs.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

As Mark mentioned, please upload your .plan file and we can take a look. It helps to save a camera with some notes to better illustrate your issue with the roofs.

Thanks!

Therein lies the problem and the less than friendly responses. The trial version does not allow you to save or upload a plan file.

Although you did post some nice screen shots it is not clear exactly what the problem is at least to me and likely others who could possibly just give you an off the cuff pointer in the right direction.

I would suggest that you work with someone like Renerabbitt who can guide you by screen sharing.

My apologies as I did not realize a first that your elevations were not done in Chief and do not match the 3D screen shots.  For Gable roofs select the gable end wall and make it a "Full Gable Wall" in the Roof tab of the Wall Specification DBX.

You can actually organize the screen shots so they are side by side and mark them up with notes and arrows if necessary.

Best of luck as there is a lot to learn yet, but you have definitely made a good start.

14 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Therein lies the problem and the less than friendly responses.

Definitely a different climate whenever someone has a post such as this. Speaking for myself, I've seen a lot of plagiarism as of late. These tools are so accessible now, easy to mock up someone's design work and run away with it. Not saying that the OP is doing such a thing, but it has become very common. Just last month I wrote an email to an architect about his work being stolen and used on these boards.

It certainly raises some eyebrows as well as some questions when a person is trying to recreate a design, as opposed to an as-built. 

That all aside, and assuming the best for the OP, this software is full capable of recreating that home, and can lead to a great career start if so desired. Many of us users regularly build complicated structures in a days work. I say dive in and purchase if it helps better manage your project...and there are tons of professionals that offer tutoring or case-by-case services.