SAVE-AS PLAN WITH LAYOUT

JimSoholt

HOW DO I "SAVE-AS" PLAN 'A' AND LAYOUT 'A', SO THAT I END UP WITH PLAN 'B' AND LAYOUT 'B', AND EVERYTHING IN LAYOUT 'B' IS ASSOCIATED CORRECTLY TO PLAN 'B, AND EVERYTHING IN LAYOUT 'A' REMAINS ASSOCIATED WITH PLAN 'A'?

THANK YOU
JIM SOHOLT

Just a quick Power Tip here...

If you're trying to save old plan iterations but keep the layout linked to the current version, I would skip the re-linking process until absolutely necessary.  Just print each layout version to PDF for future reference.  When moving to a new plan iteration, Save As to give the plan a new name ("Smith Residence Prelim 1" for example) but keep the current version using its original name ("Smith Residence Main" for example).  This way your current layout never needs re-linking. 

When you hit a fork in the road like this, it can be as simple as clicking Save-As, renaming the original right in File Explorer, and then clicking Cancel.  Now when you click Save next time, your original version remains unchanged, and your current version is still linked to your main layout.

You can always do the relink to a new layout thing at any time, but I find it much easier to use a Current or Main plan version and avoid relinking unless it's absolutely necessary. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

......but keep the current version using its original name ("Smith Residence Main" for example).  This way your current layout never needs re-linking. ......

This is a great tip.....  I considered doing this but the way I label my files,  the latest was always at the bottom of the folder for easy access....... but I should rethink this.....  I am sure I can thing of a way to keep the "MAIN PLAN" at the bottom of the folder list for quick and easy access....  like maybe a space before the file name of all ref plans and no space in file name for "MAIN PLAN".

The relinking really isn't a big deal EXCEPT I always lose my shadows for my elevations.

Good power tip Michael.

4 minutes ago, JimSoholt said:

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I GUESS THE REAL QUESTION IS HOW DO I RELINK LAYOUT 'B'? IS IT JUST A MATTER OF GOING THROUGH THE LAYOUT PAGE BY PAGE AND RELINKING EACH VIEW INDIVIDUALLY?

No that should not be necessary.

Tools > Layout > Referenced Plan Files...   And relink to Plan B and that should be it.

7 hours ago, dshall said:

The relinking really isn't a big deal EXCEPT I always lose my shadows for my elevations.

Good power tip Michael.

I mostly concur but this particular issue and other similar camera related issues are a bigger deal to me personally.  There are also at least a couple other problems as well.  For one there’s alway that glitchy behavior we can get when where the current layout temporarily keeps showing the wrong plan after the switch.  And secondliest of all, the relinking process is still a bit of a pain in and of itself and it DOES introduce at least twice as much potential for making mistakes during the relinking and renaming process.