Changing Layout Box Reference

kwhitt

I've got a layout page with two identically sized layout boxes - see attached.  Layout box 02 is merely a copy of layout box 01 that I moved in position so that it's equidistantly spaced in relation to the title block separator lines.  Layout box 02 needs to reference a CAD detail that is similar to the CAD detail for layout box 01 - however, with a slight change.  Is it possible to change which CAD detail layout box 02 references?  Much thanks, Kevin

LAYOUT.jpg

Switching layout box reference... I don't think so. Aligning a 2nd layout box is simple though, especially if each detail has a cad polyline as a border that's the exact same size and in the same location.

13 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Switching layout box reference... I don't think so. Aligning a 2nd layout box is simple though, especially if each detail has a cad polyline as a border that's the exact same size and in the same location.

Thanks for the reply Rob.  I am trying this method and finding that the layout box borders do not snap to the rectangular polyline I drew in the CAD detail.  You say it's simple, but how without being able to size the layout box borders to the same size as the rectangular polyline used as the guide?  

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

If you have a border in your cad details that is the exact same size, then the layout boxes will be the same size.

I get that, but you have to "eye" the resizing of the layout box as the borders won't snap to anything referenced in that box.  Or are you suggesting there is a way to send to layout by pre-selecting a border in the CAD detail view and this will automatically size the layout box (or something similar)?  If so, this is not an option that I can see in the "Send to Layout" dbx.  Thanks again!

4 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I get that, but you have to "eye" the resizing of the layout box as the borders won't snap to anything referenced in that box.  Or are you suggesting there is a way to send to layout by pre-selecting a border in the CAD detail view and this will automatically size the layout box (or something similar)?  If so, this is not an option that I can see in the "Send to Layout" dbx.  Thanks again!

Why would you resize the layout box ( If it's based on a border)?

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Why would you resize the layout box ( If it's based on a border)?

Maybe I don't understand what you're defining as a border.  I thought you meant to draw a rectangular polyline around the area in the CAD detail view to act as a guide for resizing the layout box borders in layout.  I am using the "Send to Layout" button in the top left menu.  There is no option in this DBX to define a "border".  I can send the current screen, but that does not accurately send only the contents of the area I want to send.  What am I missing?

send to layout.jpg

Yes, you've got the border idea right. Just resend them to layout and the new layout boxes will be the same size. If you don't want to see that border, just make it white.

EDITED

A border around the whole detail. Copy that border to each detail (ctrl+alt+v). Send to layout (entire plan / view). If resizing layout boxes, resize them all the same amounts.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Yes, you've got the border idea right. Just resend them to layout and the new layout boxes will be the same size. If you don't want to see that border, just make it white.

The first attachment shows CAD DETAIL 01 (COUNTER DETAIL 01).  The second attachment shows CAD DETAIL 02 (COUNTER DETAIL 02).  CAD DETAIL 02 was created by duplicating CAD DETAIL 01 and making some minor changes.  The red rectangles are the guide borders which have the details geometrically centered inside.  I still have to send each CAD detail out separately to layout.  When they get to layout, I have to resize the layout boxes to line up with the guide border I created in the each CAD DETAIL page.  You asked above "why would you resize the layout box (if it's based on a border)".  I don't see any other way when the drawings are coming from two different CAD details.  I must be missing something...

COUNTER DETAIL 01.jpg

COUNTER DETAIL 02.jpg

LAYOUT02.jpg

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Trim everything that's outside the red border.

That's what I was missing.  So, if you trim everything outside the border, sending to layout will size the layout box to the contents of the CAD Detail.  Thanks for your help and your patience!  Kevin

For the record, you don't actually have to trim anything.  If you want to keep the extra geometry for future use or for display in other details, you can place your "frame" onto a unique layer.  Switch to a unique "Layout Frame Layer Set" where only that single layer is turned on and send that view to layout.  Then, when in layout, change the Layer Set using the Layout Box Layers tool.  Your layout box should be perfectly sized and positioned relative to your CAD Detail. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

For the record, you don't actually have to trim anything.  If you want to keep the extra geometry for future use or for display in other details, you can place your "frame" onto a unique layer.  Switch to a unique "Layout Frame Layer Set" where only that single layer is turned on and send that view to layout.  Then, when in layout, change the Layer Set using the Layout Box Layers tool.  Your layout box should be perfectly sized and positioned relative to your CAD Detail. 

Thanks Michael.  That's a great tip.  Kevin