Rotate to Align question (answered)

DzinEye

I have to believe that I have been missing some basic Chief action all these years, so finally I'm going to embarass myself to ask...
How does one align an entire cad shape/polyline, not just a selected edge of that shape?

Align.JPG

Just now, solver said:

Probably an easier way ... I'll get the angle of the line, then rotate the shape to match.

And then try to remember that a negative angle rotation is clockwise and  positive is counter-clockwise...which is also counter-intuitive!

I've wondered the same thing as the OP many times (including a few minutes ago). I hope a solution shows up.

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

And then try to remember that a negative angle rotation is clockwise and  positive is counter-clockwise

If you use 'absolute' then you won't have to remember pos./neg. BUT it still seems such a primitive way of doing it, when it should just be a matter of a couple clicks.

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

If you use 'absolute' then you won't have to remember pos./neg. BUT it still seems such a primitive way of doing it, when it should just be a matter of a couple clicks.

Yeah, you still do. If I have an irregular pie shaped lot that I'd like to rotate an absolute angle, I'll have to know if it's a positive angle or a negative angle when entering the value using the transform / replicate tool.

Example, the lot I'm currently working with has one side that is 1.27964 degrees off of north. I'd like that side of the lot aligned with my building. So to rotate it, I'll need (in this case) a negative rotation of 1.27964. A positive rotation of that amount would make it 2.55928 degrees off.

What we need is a make parallel tool that function like the point-to-point move tool. Select objects to make parallel, then select angle 'A' to make parallel with angle 'B'.

31 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

I have to believe that I have been missing some basic Chief action all these years, so finally I'm going to embarass myself to ask...
How does one align an entire cad shape/polyline, not just a selected edge of that shape?

Align.JPG

Double click on the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool (or just click it a second time).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Double click on the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool

Ha!...  great!  Thanks Michael.  Grrr... I did not see that in the Parallel/Perp tool description.  Now looking with more scrutiny I see at the very end there's a link to another page describing that function.  Seems to me that info should be on the same page or mentioned earlier in the tool description.

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I see that works for a single polyline only.. not multiples, correct?

Not sure what you mean, but if you select multiple polylines and try to Make Parallel/Perpendicular, you won't get the option they will automatically Rotate Entire Polyline because there is no Selected Edge to work with.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure what you mean, but if you select multiple polylines and try to Make Parallel/Perpendicular, you won't get the option they will automatically Rotate Entire Polyline because there is no Selected Edge to work with.

That's what I meant. I typically have a fair bit of my site plan drawn while the lot perimeter is positioned relative to its north bearing. Then I'll rotate the group of objects for building placement. Still, good to have that tip about double-clicking the make parallel tool!

15 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Yeah, you still do. If I have an irregular pie shaped lot that I'd like to rotate an absolute angle, I'll have to know if it's a positive angle or a negative angle when entering the value using the transform / replicate tool.

Example, the lot I'm currently working with has one side that is 1.27964 degrees off of north. I'd like that side of the lot aligned with my building. So to rotate it, I'll need (in this case) a negative rotation of 1.27964. A positive rotation of that amount would make it 2.55928 degrees off.

What we need is a make parallel tool that function like the point-to-point move tool. Select objects to make parallel, then select angle 'A' to make parallel with angle 'B'.

Rob, if you select the edge of your lot that you want to align with your building, and in the transform/replicate dbx enter 1.27964 as an absolute angle it should work.  If you entered as a relative angle, then you're correct it'll either add or deduct that angle from it's current position.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Rob, if you select the edge of your lot that you want to align with your building, and in the transform/replicate dbx enter 1.27964 as an absolute angle it should work.  If you entered as a relative angle, then you're correct it'll either add or deduct that angle from it's current position.

Yup, you're correct. I'm using the relative angle as I'm rotating a mostly completed site plan which is multiple objects.

3 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Wait...  you need to use the absolute angle of the building wall... which I think is actually 358.72036 based on what you're saying.  

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but beside the double click method mentioned by Michael earlier, you can shift select your polyline and then use the make parallel/parallel tool

The problem with this method is that it uses the bounding box of the polyline and not a specific edge. 

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The problem with this method is that it uses the bounding box of the polyline and not a specific edge. 

Bounding box being plan north, useful to know for anyone finding this, easy to make a 90 degree corner perpendicular to a reference in this way.

3 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Click the edge of the polyline you want to make parallel and then dble. click the make parallel tool and select "rotate entire polyline".

• DzinEye changed the title to Rotate to Align question (answered)